How to make any car.. ... "LOOK WET"

I think you might have missed the option of hauling the salt water north and letting nature freeze it for a year, then hauling it back. Or maybe short cut the whole thing and just go get some ice that has already been there for a year. Like they used to do in Minnesota by harvesting the ice on the lakes to store all summer for use in “ice boxes”.

There was a proposal to tow icebergs down to the region to supply fresh water. It was never tried. Or if it was no one trumpeted the success. Must be good reasons for that.

I’m gonna guess someone read about Titanic and said “Y’know, maybe attaching motors to these things and firewalling the throttle is a bad idea…”

I have a hard time seeing a 70+ yo working on a Whaling Crew in Alaska.

4 Likes

+1 to THAT!

1 Like

Just saw this, in case you want to see a review of some different products.

Sorry, they may be good, but I can’t see how they’re ‘ceramic’. Seems like that’s just a name that’s been slapped on them.

2 Likes

"This webpage is an advertisement and not a news publication. VehicleBuff is independently owned and operated and supported by referral fees from the sites and products featured. Any opinions expressed in this article are our individual experiences and opinions and your results may vary.

The story depicted on this site and the person depicted in the story are not actual news. Rather, this story is based on the results that some people who have used these products have achieved. The results portrayed in the story and in the comments are illustrative, and may not be the results that you achieve with these products."

I dunno, I’ve got a brand new container of Meguire’s wax so guess I’ll just use that-just to stay old school. Old dog, always done it that way.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a bottle of Meguiar’s Liquid Hybrid Ceramic Wax and stashed it away for when I wasn’t busy and I felt like using it.

On Sunday I washed the Grand Prix. It was still pretty clean and smooth from the last waxing with Nu Finish and the water was beading very well.

I got out the Meguiar’s and it applied it as directed. It’s very easy to use and it took like a third of a 16 ounce bottle. The car looks wet now! It is very smooth to the feel. I was happy with it.

The only disappointment was that it appears the wax is a cool yellow-green color, but that’s just the bottle, the wax is pure white.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

When I click on his avatar, I see:
This user is suspended until May 23, 3020 8:00 am.
Reason: Verbal abuse despite warning

@cdaquila
Hi Carolyn: Is there a typo in the above date/

Hi @JoeMario no, it’s not a typo - I had suspended the user indefinitely, but apparently the system uses a thousand years from now.

I won’t tell you how often I wax my car, but I have a small jar of Blue Coral paste wax that I have not used up. I gave my 80 or 90 year old Craftsman table saw top a coat to keep rust at bay.

I haven’t used one of the Ceramic sealers yet. I’ve read a lot about them and watch a few reviews on Youtube. They are suppose to be a lot more durable then synthetic waxes and give the same luster as a Carnauba.

Let us know how well it lasts.

I’ll do that, Mike! If I forget, please ask.
It said it could go over wax. I hand washed the car here at the condo and the car’s finish cleaned up with nothing stuck to it, it was still shiny, and the water beaded well from doing NU Finish wax 6 months, ago. It’s been parked indoors.

So, I decided to wipe it on with an applicator pad and wipe it off by towel (small sections), with very little buffing needed. It was pretty easy and took about an hour for the whole car. It doesn’t take much wax, perhaps because my surface was so smooth already. I have enough product left for another wax or two. I did the plastic lenses on my brand new headlights, too, as the bottle said it could be used on plastic. It’s not recommended on glass, though.

It really shines and I don’t know if it’s my imagination or not, but it has a different nice feel to it when I run the back of hand over it. It’s supposed to make water bead like crazy, but it hasn’t gotten wet, yet, so I don’t know.

Cars here in Florida stay clean looking for a long time, even parked outside, but this old car is headed north soon and I will be parking outside there and I’ll put this wax to the test and report back as to what I think about it then.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Well, finally a clue about the ‘ceramic’ craze in car waxes. On Meguiar’s’ web site they list the ingredients in the wax CSA is using. The only unusual one is “Polysiloxane with Functionalized Silica”. Polysiloxane is the fancy name for silicone, and I guess that starts off with silica (silicon oxide), which has something to do with ceramics. I have no idea what “Funtionalized Silica” is.

Yeah what a dizzying array of products. They were bought out by 3M by the way. The stuff CSA used is under their consumer line for $22. I usually use stuff under the professional line in the tan containers. The stuff in the tan containers I think that is the closest is the Synthetic Sealant 2.0 for $21.99. It actually got good reviews along with that $40 Torque Mirror Shine. My eyes just glaze over looking at all the different products which is why I like to just keep doing it the way I have, but still I’m open to better stuff, and I really really do want that wet look shine without 50 coats of wax.

I’m gonna still probably use the old stuff this Spring since I got a brand new bottle plus some left in the old bottle, but maybe I’ll try the S Sealant later on or in the fall if it is that much better. I’ll probably just have to spend the $20 myself. No one will know if you don’t tell. I feel a little guilty spending $100 on a battery impact driver but hey it was on sale and helps the economy so what’s $20. I’m waiting the appropriate length of time though so I can say to the wife “that, oh I’ve had that for a long time”.

Back to the 50’s car show has been canceled this year and they usually have a pretty big Meguiars tent with people to answer questions so not this year.

This sounds GREAT… All I need now is a day that has 32 hours in it… Since currently with our limited 24hr day I am busy at least 14 hours out of each day. I require no less than 7-8 hours of rest and brain down time…otherwise I am a zombie

What little time I spend effing off will not be polishing my vehicle in the attempt of better fuel mileage. In fact there is direct research that suggests a pock marked (think golfball) texture disrupts the airflow in a manner that allows it to slip thru the atmosphere better than a very smooth texture since less of the air molecules can actually attach themselves to the surface…think water sheeting action, but with air. I have no idea which is correct and I don’t care because I am traveling at speeds that don’t matter in this scenario. Anything over say 200 mph? Maybe I would start caring, but not at my current daily velocities. I’ve only owned one vehicle that would break the 200mph barrier…and yes i waxed it…doubt it helped tho and honestly I’m getting too old for that type of nonsense anymore (there I admitted it).

But again…my time is valuable to me, so I tend to keep it for exactly what I want to be doing and when. This has never once included time for waxing, anything daily. You lost me at “everyday” basically.

1 Like

I have never been that much of a “wet look” fanatic. Clean is enough for my car. The nice thing about old beaters is that you own them, they don’t own you.
I mostly use car wax on the primer tray of my shotgun shell reloading press. When the primers stop feeding reliably, it’s time to take the primer tray apart and give it the Turtle Wax treatment, usually after every 1000 rounds or so.

True… @B.L.E this entire exercise is based on having something nice enough to wax… which in my world has happened a few times. I have something worth it now but I’m still not concerned enough to do it.

I did wax my boat once each year…and I still look back on all that maintenance with a sort of… "WTF was I thinking’ type o deal. lol. I still do.

Ceramic is basically a material that’s been hardened by heating to very high temps and then cooled. Many silicons are considered ceramic. From what I’ve read the main difference between a ceramic coating is they will actually bond with the paint surface whereas a wax or sealant will just sit on the surface. This leads to much strong protection.

I haven’t tried it yet. Still have sealant and wax left in my supply so not about to buy anything new. But it does seem interesting.