How to make any car.. ... "LOOK WET"

Now I got a bloody cloud! I feel like Joe Btfsplk!

We bought a used car, $14.99 a month for Onstar, not happening. Looked at Amazon web services for backup, glacial might be ok but I bought a 2 tb usb drive for $89 I think. I have a doc that is password protected, google docs does not allow that, there are many pluses and minuses to every option.

OK. I guess I have to clarify. I don’t mean they are literally mainframes. But the move toward cloud-based processing harkens back to the days of mainframes and dumb terminals. They’re even trying to run games on remote servers instead of the players local box, which makes me wonder how they’re ever going to overcome latency enough to do anything but turn-based games but that’s above my paygrade.

As far as security, sorry, but trusting a remote company with the security of your business systems is fine if you’re running a local print shop or a gas station (though your credit card using customers might disagree), but if you’re dealing in trade secrets or other things that need to be kept away from people without a need to know, it’s best if you keep it internal and hire really good people to secure your systems, and preferably have that data on systems that are not connected to the internet at all. No one cares about your data security more than you do. Any time I see someone claim something is “extremely secure” I have to chuckle a bit. We aren’t real good at securing things over the internet, which is why there’s a new corporate data breach seemingly every five seconds. I’ve had to get new credit cards 5 times in the last few years, and every time it’s because some internet-connected pay device wasn’t secure enough.

Hell, the Air Force got hacked a little over a month ago, in a challenge they put out to find vulnerabilities. Know how long it took crackers to get in? 30 seconds. At least that was an intentional challenge, unlike when the Defense Department got hacked and a bunch of employee data was compromised. If the Pentagon isn’t secure, nothing can be counted on to be secure.

Yes but the difference is that the launch control systems of missile silos aren’t connected to the internet, where as cloud-based services by definition are. As for how secure the rest of the silo is, we’d do well to listen to retired Major Gen. James Cartwright, former head of SAC overseeing those missile silos. “You’ve either been hacked and are not admitting it, or you’re being hacked and don’t know it.” Just because the launch control system can’t be hacked doesn’t mean a cracker can’t get an order to the people with the keys to launch a missile, and make it look authentic. It wouldn’t be easy, especially with the launch codes supposedly being eyes-only for the president (which of course isn’t true, because someone typed up those codes to put on the card in the football, and to put in the code books in the silos for verification).

Oh BTW, AWS was hacked - it was discovered this past March, and corporate data was stolen.

And Azure isn’t 100% safe either.

The bottom line is that if it’s a bunch of pictures of your car, or a spreadsheet of your car’s maintenance history, the cloud is fine. But I would not (willingly) put confidential information on remote servers because that just adds one more, frankly unnecessary, point of failure in the security chain. Data storage media is cheap. We don’t need to be renting it over the internet, and there’s some data we shouldn’t be exposing to the internet at all.

@cdaquila perhaps this thread, that didn’t start off on such a good note, has exhausted its automotive relevance.

3 Likes

Agree. Probably time to send it back on the ice floe whence it came. Thanks.

3 Likes

I guess after reading everything I would let a car detaier do the job. My question would be the front door panels in my 03 rusted at the bottom of the doors, traded it in, but would that have been salt and corrosion from the outside of the door or moisture within. I did have to unplug the drain line for the interior of the door, filled with water!

Sorry that is NOT cloud computing…Not even close.

Basically cloud computing is taking the servers your company has right now and relocating them off-site that is controlled by a third party. This includes updates, fixes, maintenance, backups, patches, security…

Bringing it back to Automobiles.

Auto manufacturers are moving to cloud computing very very rapidly. Cloud systems make it much easier for manufacturer plants and third party vendors to talk to each other.

Much easier to rapidly add compute power and disk space when needed…and then to relinquish those resources when no longer needed.

Automotive smart systems are almost exclusively cloud based.

Same with the new driverless car technology. Nice feature here is if there’s a power outage at one site…automatic fail over to another site. Little or no loss of communication between car and servers. Sometime in the future when we have a majority of autonomous vehicles on the road - they’ll all be talking to each other through the cloud. It’s being built now.

I suggest you learn about the technology before you make that statement. You ever hear of the Target Data breach, or Verizon data breach? How about Capital One data breach? Ebay, Equifax, Marriott…all had major data breaches. And the cloud has had data breaches…but analysis shows that over 99% of them were customer errors. Not following the protocols that the cloud based systems offer.

Many large companies are going to the cloud because of the enhanced security benefits. They don’t need to hire a platoon of security experts. The problem is bringing existing systems over. But many companies that are designing new systems/applications are looking at cloud because of the added security benefits.

This is what I do for a living. I’ve designed systems from the ground up that are extremely difficult to hack. My company has a few systems in the middle east that are being attacked (unsuccessfully) thousands and thousands of times a month. I’m not going to say they can’t be hacked, but the systems I’ve seen that are hacked were NOT following best practices security measures.

I would argue back a little bit more, but @cdaquila has already closed the topic once because you and I went full nerd, and I’m not aiming to push her toward doing it again. :wink:

I disagree with you. We are running programs web based, how is that not a web terminal. Sure it is our own secure server, and some are web based, cars are linked to a master server in the cloud, acting as a dumb terminal interface imhop.

1 Like

Hey guys, interesting but this is about polishing cars and such. As Shadow said, It’s already been closed once. Just sayin’ is all.

Now to veer a little back to wax. I was watching a youtube last night about the guards at the unknown soldier-recommend it. Makes me want to go to DC again but I can’t leave home-OK I’m getting to wax. At any rate they showed all the prep the guards do and their shoes shined to a high polish. They are standard issue shoes but they said they put so much wax on them they are polishing the wax not the leather. Myself, I just hired it done, or toward the end used gloss black paint. So maybe what’s his name had a point with 50 coats but who needs the aggravation anyway.

In 1965 I was there with my folks and had the radio on playing Barry McGuire’s Eve of Destruction. I liked it but my dad got mad and turned the radio off as we were going by the memorials. Poor guy. I should have apologized to him for all I put him through. Guess I veered a little.

+1
I had minimal interest in making my car look “wet”, but as this thread veers ever farther from its original intent, I have zero interest.

Thinking of having a pro detail the cars with this new grade tech. My 03 gone now but was rusting at the bottom of the door on the inside. salt I assume. Going to make sure that gets done.

Sure you can run a Web Terminal…so what? But that’s not the only thing you can do. That is probably less then 5%.

#2 - And if the systems were in house - how would that be any different? Cloud just means the location of the systems.

Most of our programs are web based. We’re just now getting into the cloud. So you connect up to a server and it renders the HTML to your PC. The location of the server is what determines if it’s web based. If your company owns the systems and you they maintain and support it, then it’s NOT cloud based. Move those systems to AWS or Azure (without changing a thing), and it’s now cloud based.

@cdaquila this thread is like a weed that needs another shot of Roundup

Maybe you need something better than Roundup . My weeds turn yellow and come back stronger when I use Roundup now.