How to fix a drooping visor

I had such a rousing response to my previous question, I decided to pose another. [You guys don’t pull punches, either. I appreciate the honesty.]

So, here it is…

I have a 1995 Lexus ES 300 on which the driver’s visor droops down. I understand that Lexus will fix it by replacing it for about $600.

Now, it’s already been established that I’m cheap & don’t have sensible priorities. However, it just seems that it should be less expensive to fix this problem.

Is it really feasible to go to a wrecking yard & find a part to fix this? [I’m no mechanic, as you can tell.]

Any solutions or just judgements?

Wrecking yard is one way, but you might not find a better one, just a different one. Sometimes you can tighten the base, on 1995 I am not sure if the base has any screws. On my 2005 Camry the base is all plastic. In that case you can use some Velcro on the visor and then the roof and have it stick up there.

This one’s easy.

Get some self adhesive Velcro. Find a location where the visor comes in contact with the headliner. Peel off the backing for the adhesive for the hook and attach to the visor. Peel off the backing for the adhesive for the loop and attach it to the headliner. Now the visor works, but gets out of the way when wanted.

Tester

I considered the velcro approach. However, every package of self-adhesive velcro I look at, proclaims that it will not work on fabric, but should be used on smooth, hard surfaces. Since the headliner and visor are both fabric, except for the mirror, I thought that if I tried this, I would just succeed in damaging both the visor and the headliner.

Are you telling me that the self-adhesive velcro will & does work on fabric?

You did say cheap? This is about as cheap as it gets. And if it don’t work? it’s off to the junkyard.

Tester

I know you said you’re no mechanic, and I don’t have a Lexus so I am not sure how the visor is attached, but look closely at how it is attached. Probably it is on a rod that rotates in a holder. And probably the holder has some kind of snap cover over some screws. I would take it off and look at it, to see why the rod is loose in its holder. If you’re lucky, there’s a screw to tighten. If not, maybe you can take it apart and wrap a thin piece of cloth around the rod. Another idea – maybe it is the same as the one on the other side, so you can swap them. They might both still work, because now they are turning in the opposite direction.

I would suggest going to an automotive trim and upholstery shop. They may have some ideas on how to repair the sunvisor for a lot less than $600.

I need to clarify something. There is a lighted mirror on both visors. So, there is some wiring issue as well in replacing or repairing the visor. Also, due to the mirror, it doesn’t appear to lend itself to swapping with the passenger visor. i.e. the mirror will be on the wrong side, etc.

Sorry, I didn’t mention that first…

Try the velcro.

I’ll try the velcro tomorrow & post the results.

I would try the Velcro, maybe gently sew the thing there. Also, would a mirror-less visor from a Camry fit? I bet it is cheaper. You can spend the savings on something else that makes you look good!

Sticking velcro is no good but there is some on a roll that can be used as cable ties. A loop around the visor will look like something to put papers in. Two loops in different places might work well.

Willing to bet there’s an option available without lighting and mirror for significantly less money. If not from Lexus then from Toyota.

If the velcro strips don’t adhere, use some staples on them. Staples from a stapler, not a staple gun, work pretty well on headliners, and might work on your visor too. I have staples holding up the headliner in my car.

You are not cheap. You just bought a 2007 Lexus RX 350. You are selectively cheap, which is even more dangerous than being cheap all around.

I’ve been called cheap or stingy before, but this is a first for “selectively cheap.” I’ll take that as a compliment? Maybe an appreciation of my discriminating taste…

Practice sitting on the right side of your car and driving. You can then get a second job as a rural mail carrier. When you have earned $600 you can have your Lexus fixed and go back to one job. (Well, you wanted a cheap way out. This way is not only cheap, it’s profitable).

The comment that got removed was funny. This one, not so much…

This idea is intriguing. One question… Staples remain attached by having the ends bent over by the plate on the bottom side of the stapler. How do you keep these staples attached when you can’t get that plate inside the headliner or visor? Do you have a mysterious technique that you would care to share? Maybe I’m missing something, again…

Try hair spray where the pivot point is.

This idea came to mind because it works on jean zippers if they have a tendency to unzip on their own.

I appreciate the thought, but it seems to me that the spring that snaps it snugly into place when it gets close to being closed has failed. Hard to see that hairspray would help with that.