How Tesla lost the affordable EV race to GM

This kinda goes back to my previous post about a gym being near a large charging area. Maybe be like these grocery store gas stations, Price to charge up normally is one price and those with a loyalty/membership card for the gym gets another, cheaper price. You attract local people in the area with the discounted/free charging and also offer those traveling through a chance to stretch their legs.
Another good spot would be freeway rest areas where people are going to stop anyways, this will let EVs charge up while everyone does their business.

Something tells me this will be like the Pinto legends of old. Risk of fire is always there with any vehicle, but the actual number of incidents is small enough to not really worry about it.
With parking garages putting signs up about us Bolt owners not being allowed to park there, I wonder if cities would have put up signs saying ā€œNo Pintos allowedā€ where one needs to parallel park because of the rear ends catching fire.

Tell that to the Tesla drivers who have over 200k or even 300k miles on their original battery.

Or the million miles Tesla that is on its 3rd battery.

Youā€™re not wrong on that, but it will be coming whether we like it or not, might as well have some advanced warning and work out solutions to problems.

This is more likely to happen and will probably be a more common repair. How easy it will be to diagnose, though, is anyoneā€™s guess and some places might opt to tell someone to replace the whole thing rather than spend a little time and find the part cell(s)- this is what Chevy is basically doing with the Bolt, replacing certain cells than the whole battery.

Well, I donā€™t know. Fire Marshall had an article in the paper yesterday concerning lith batteries. Mainly talking about the small ones for drills etc, but same thing. They can go into melt down and burn your house down. Already had one fire in town this summer from the batteries. Iā€™ve got about 7 of them plugged in so not sure what Iā€™ll do. You can get cabinets for them but not for cars. And car batteries are exposed to cold and wet conditions.

Govā€™r of Calif today announced no new gasoline powered cars allowed for sale in Calif starting in 2035. Not sure how they will handle folks buying cars in other states and moving to Calif though.

Not being a constitutional expert, my first though after thinking it stupid, was restraint of trade which would be unconstitutional. One state cannot restrain trade from another state. You canā€™t condemn product a and let product b in.

I think you are right there @Bing, Calif wouldnā€™t be allowed to prevent someone owning a gasoline car legally purchased in another state from moving themselves & the car to Calif. They could tax the heck out of it though.

Gavin Newsome wonā€™t be the Governor in 2035. Weā€™ll see how that plays out. Well, you will, I wonā€™t be living in Cali. Not that I donā€™t like the place. Iā€™ve had numerous happy business trips to Palo Alto, El Segundo, Redondo Beach ( sorta the same thing) and Lompoc.

That grill is strangely similar to the 1961 Plymouth which is considered by many to be the ugliest car ever made.

At some point, I would think the federal government will introduce a program similar to Cash for Clunkers but for ICE powered cars. They can then incentivise the states into refusing to register ICE powered cars by maybe withholding any federal funds for road maintenance. It would be the best way to get folks to switch to alternative powered vehicles.

A relevant cartoon:

4 Likes

As Bertrand Russell said, seek out the facts and let that reveal the truth. All I hear are fairy tales without talking about following the money.

Hasnā€™t California regulated the emissions equipment on cars for many years?

1 Like

On average they have a life span on par with ICE vehicles. Yes you can replace the whole battery pack, but there are much more affordable options. You can replace individual modules of the battery pack.

My problem with EVā€™s is the battery technology. Itā€™s still in flux. Batteries used in EVā€™s today may not be used 10 years from now. There are dozens and dozens of companies working on new batteries in just the US. India, England, France and Germanyā€¦not to mention Japan, Korea and China are all working on new batteries.

There is an old dry cleaning property since torn down, site is a contaminated unsalable mess. Much like an old site that used to store new cars. So much oil and gas built up in the ground it could be a superfund site!

Yes, but in order to do that, Calif had to obtained some sort of permission from the federal govā€™t. That permission was revoked by the prior federal admin, but reinstituted by the current.

Sherlock Holmes: "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts ā€

3 Likes

I read an article this morning in my local paper about Californiaā€™s new rule about not selling new ICE cars after 2035. It said that the rule needed federal approval. While the current administration might approve it, future administrations might rescind that approval.

2 Likes

I read an article yesterday from someone in cali involved in the power grid, catnt remember who, saying there is no way they could handle the load without hydrogen cars or other advancements.

Iā€™ve been wondering though what will happen when the ocean rises or the ground lowers, depending on world view, and all that salt water hits the batteries? Iā€™ve been told that salt water and batteries are bad.

Maybe Cali should worry about fixing their electrical grid first. and build some desalination plants to take care of the water shortages. but hey, what do I know.

Aquaman will have to ride the bus. Do you think people will live in homes that are in the ocean?

I donā€™t think EV are truly the way to go. Hydrogen makes more sense in a lot of aspects. Change out a few pumps at the gas station to hydrogen instead making EV charging stations. Battery is way too expensive to replace. The making of batteries vs hydrogen. I canā€™t see buying a used EV. Battery goes and the car is basically a lawn ornament unless you can afford new batteries and know someone who can replace them. For that price you can replace the transmission twice, buy a used vehicle, or even replace the engine and it would still be cheaper than some EV batteries.

While engines designs can be modified to work with hydrogen, most expect fuel cells to be used. Nothing in an existing gas station would work with hydrogen, itā€™s either stored at cryogenic temperatures, or at extreme pressure. Itā€™s OK for transferring energy, but itā€™s not a source, it has to be made, either from methane or with electricity splitting water.

2 Likes