The Tesla Model D is unveiled

…and it’s even more amazing than the Model S, on which it is based.
That’s the good news.

The bad news is that it costs $15k more than the Model S.

Plebeians like me will just have to wait a few years for the cheaper Model 3.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-10/tesla-debuts-the-d-a-night-in-la-with-the-cult-of-elon-musk?campaign_id=DN101014

Is that the one that supposedly drives by itself? If so, I heard about it on the radio today.

The guy said it freed the driver of having to do the work of driving the car? I was thinking before I heard this report that driving the car isn’t really much work. But according to the folks at Tesla, I guess driving the car, sitting there and turning the steering wheel and the like, is quite an intense job.

Edit: The other question I was thinking when I heard this, if one of those cars runs into me, who do I blame? Who pays me to fix up my car and my medical bills and lost wages? The driver’s insurance company? Or the car’s manufacturer’s insurance company?

Wow, that sound right up my alley.

Now I can be gnawing on a couple dozen hot wings and sucking down my big gulp while the car just takes me there.
I’m gonna wait though, for the one that has voice recognition with the GPS.
Then I can yell out “I need Rolaids” and the car will automatically pull into the next convenience store.

Yosemite

“Blame” is an outmoded concept…Today, most states have no-fault insurance. The new Subaru’s have an option called “eyesight” that is very close to a true autopilot…

Caddyman, only nine states currently support no fault auto insurance.

^TSMB, isn’t Caddyman being facetious?

the same mountainbike …I believe that 12 states and Puerto Rico currently have no fault insurance. I know that’s because 3 of the 12 states are considered “choice” but they are really no fault states considering the choice.

I love the look of the Tesla S but it’s too over-priced for me. My dream car is a Bentley Continental GT and it’s also a high dollar vehicle. The dual engine configuration sounds like a great idea and I hear they are offering the D option on all 3 of their model S cars. Time will tell how successful it will be.

According to Wikipedia, PA is an “optional” no-fault state, but you can have chargeable accidents…my policy documents even indicate how much rates go up per accident that’s "your fault."

I don’t even understand how no-fault would work: run a red light, cause a crash, and nobody even bothers to see who had the green?

Welcome one more very highly priced Tesla product that still won’t match the same utility of a Ford Fusion for a fraction of the price. Beautiful car with terrific performance that still can’t do a day’s travel.

Why have the performance it doesn’t need nor can anybody use? I can take a Ferrari (or Miata or S2000 or Mustang) to the track, have all-day fun and drive it home the same day. I’ve never been able to do that with any Tesla.

Have we gotten that 10 minute rechargeable battery yet? No? I’ll pass.

I saw a true rarity on my way home from work a couple of days ago. A Tesla…with regular license plates instead of vanity plates.

Meanjoe, I don’t understand how it works either. I know the concept, each party’s insurance pays for their own damage no matter what happened, but it just doesn’t seem fair to me. It seems to me to be just another “everybody must feel good, nobody’s to blame, must not let anyone feel responsible” statute. Too much of that philosophy for my taste.

I see Teslas regularly, so they clearly meet the needs of some drivers. People who can afford such expensive cars rarely have just one. They can use a Tesla for most everyday driving and something else for longer trips. Or rent something.

I read somewhere today that Toyota is doubling down on fuel cells and sounds like Honda is not far behind. I guess I really don’t understand the fuel cell deal, but again I would be a little leary of all electric with limited range even with recharging stations all over.

The US military and eventually our allies, has committed itself to vehicles powered by fuel cells. If the US military is “committed”, it doesn’t take long for business to accommodate or ride along side, all businesses including our allies. http://www.army.mil/article/74304/Army_unveils_world_s_first_military_fleet_of_fuel_cell_vehicles/

I can’t jump on the Tesla bandwagon yet as I consider most of it hype. Until Tesla offers a reasonably priced 300 miles range vehicle with the ability to run full lighting and creature comforts for that entire range, I remain unconvinced.

The parade of high five figure/six figure cars just makes them a niche car at this point and judging by the number that comes and goes for sale on eBay alone with no buyers I’m not sure the owners of those cars are that dedicated to them.

I still have no idea where all that hydrogen is supposed to come from (economically). Nothing in that press release addresses practical sources for hydrogen. It takes a LOT of electricity to make, why not just charge up batteries? Proven technology, much cheaper per vehicle.

And to worry about hydrocarbon fuel now is odd, the world is awash in oil.

boy you love your oil tex… :slight_smile:

the sun man! the sun! that s where the the future of energy lies

but I do agree that we should exploit our domestic oil supplies now

Well, I’d use solar to plug into the electric grid, cut back on coal burning, charge EVs. No need for hydrogen. I have no problem with EVs, they’re starting to make sense if battery prices drop, same for solar as panel prices drop. Putting a whole hydrogen infrastructure on top of that will cost MANY hundreds of Billion$$.

Hydrogen comes mostly from natural gas although it can be made from “clean” sources of electricity. Fuel cells make electricity by combining H2 and free oxygen from the air making water vapor. Fuel cells have been powering electric forklifts for about 8 years now in growing numbers in the US. When you need more fuel, it can be added very easily and quickly with a standardized fitting into a tank pressurized to 5000 psi. Faster and more convenient than swapping the battery.

Given that natural gas itself can be used in a similar fashion at lower pressures and used in conventional IC engines, It makes more sense to use CNG instead of hydrogen fuel cells. The exhaust emitted has CO2 but so does the process to make H2 from natural gas.