How Tesla lost the affordable EV race to GM

There might be a future in hydrogen vehicles, Toyota has been leasing hydrogen cars in California since 2016.

Hydrogen fill stations in Southern California;

And none in any other state, it seems:
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Hydrogen Fueling Station Locations (energy.gov)

Hereā€™s the layout of the Toyota Mirai:
Itā€™s not clear to me, since it needs a battery, why itā€™s better than just an EV. Get rid of the expensive fuel cell and hydrogen tanks, put in a bigger battery, done.

Totally agree with this statement.

No one is going to magically take away all gas-powered cars overnight, and replace them with EVs. Itā€™s going to take a decade or two, I suspect, giving us plenty of time to adjust.

The change is coming, folks, whether some of us like it or not.

1 Like

Not to mention that everything else electric is getting more efficient.

I guess I am in the minority on here. I am not fully on board yet with EVā€™s. at least until they work out some of the bugs. cost, catching fire, electrical grid, ect. who knows EVā€™s might just go the way of flex fuel vehicles. A lot of people who have them went with less flex and more fuel. :rofl:
we had them in the post office vehicles that I was in charge of. we didnā€™t once put anything in them but gas. it is the only choice we had though. but even other officeā€™s that could use LP, didnā€™t. I only knew of one office that did, sometimes.
I am not saying EVā€™s are a bad thing. I am just not ready yet. but who knows what the future will bring.

You are not alone
I am not fully on board yet with EVā€™s. at least until they work out some of the bugs. cost, catching fire, electrical grid, ect. .
Agree 100% plus the cost 0f a replacement battery and the fact that there are probably very few shops and techā€™s that can work on them.

1 Like

Thank goodness it probably wonā€™t happen until after Iā€™m gone. Making all this a ā€œnot my problemā€ type thing.

1 Like

New car sales of Hydrogen fueled cars remains allowed under the 2035 EV rule. Hydrogen is the modality the oil companies prefer I expect, b/c the hydrogen fuel is most economically obtained directly from oil. A lot of practical/safety problems w/hydrogen, seems unlikely that tech will gain much traction. If the 2035 EV rules actually goes into effect on that date ā€“ doubtful imo ā€” all of the gasoline/diesel vehicles on the road will still remain. So if somebody prefers a used gasoline version to a new EV, theyā€™ll have the option.

Bing: what will happen when the ocean rises or the ground lowers ā€¦ all that salt water hits the batteries?

I presume youā€™re being facetious.

1 Like

But I bet it wouldnā€™t be good!

2 Likes

I was thinking on the electric trucks coming out and was wondering how many more might have hopped on board if the automakers went with smaller trucks instead of the full sized ones.
Take the Maverick for instance, I think it would be nice to have an EV option for it along with the other engine options over the F-150. Part of me also wonders if they did that, would that put a damper on the F-150ā€™s status as the #1 selling truck.

1 Like

Probably right. In tech business anyway, selling a lower priced model is always risky, b/c it might take sales away from your higher priced model. Tech companies might decide sell the exact same thing, but as separate products, numbered differently, maybe different colors. One for considerably less $$, the only change is the software in the less $$$ version so some of the functions are disabled, or still has the same functions but they donā€™t work quite as well compared to higher priced version.

The larger F150 can better handle the weight of the batteries IMO. It also makes sense to me to modify your best seller. Proctor and Gamble was the first to recognize that product differentiation could lead to more sales. If the customer still buys your products you havenā€™t lost anything. Add to that the new customers for the new product and you come out ahead. P&G grew large with that strategy. Also, an F 150 Lightning is still and F150, no sales lost to the product line.

I saw one yesterday, in the Costco parking lot. I asked the owner if he liked it, andā€“assuming that he wasnā€™t lyingā€“he said that he loved it, and that he almost always got more ā€œrangeā€ out of it than the mfr claimed.

I get the hand me down volumes of Motor Trend and on their review of the Mirai and the Hyundai Hydrogen cell car, they are often running in trouble with hydrogen fill stations being down because of the load and then long lines/etc. Seems like a part-time job to make sure you have enough fuel.

From what iā€™ve heard from California Hydrogen stations it can take up to 20min between cars for the tank to be pumping at full capacity, and itā€™s only one pump at many stations compared to 20+ for gasoline.
Why the Hydrogen Infrastructure Isnā€™t Ready - YouTube

the 1961 Plymouth which is considered by many to be the ugliest car ever made.

Canā€™t remember that Plymouth, but its little brother - the Valiant ā€“ especially with its bizarre looking back end HAS to be the ugliest car ever made (IMHO).

I ought to know. I owned one. Cost me $85 in 1966, right after I got my driver license. I could have painted ā€œUGLYā€ on the doors ā€“ that would have improved the styling.

To recover from that hideous error, I bought what I still consider one of the most beautiful cars ever built (in my eyes at least), a maroon 1965 Pontiac LeMans convertible with a 326 engine. That was the one with vertical headlights. Sure loved that car. It was not as quick as its celebrity twin, the GTO, but it cruised easily at 80 mph. I covered 60 miles of Michigan freeway at a steady 100 following a buddy. I drove it to 113 onceā€¦(ok, that was stupid).

I still think the series hybrid like the no longer made Chevy Volt is the way to go for now. It can be used completely as an EV and plugged in at night for short trips or used on long trips with the gasoline engine generator running. In a series hybrid no mechanical power is provided by the gasoline engine. It only comes on to charge batteries and run the electric motors that send the car down the road.

I talked to a guy who has one of these and I seem to recall there being a couple settings you can hit so tell the car to plan for a short trip or a long trip. If a short trip, the car will do everything it can not to use the gas engine, figuring it will be plugged in. If a long trip, it will start the gas engine pretty much immediately to keep the batteries up. I think there was an intermediate setting as well.

1 Like

This is what worries me about electric cars. The state where you are being told you must use them is telling you not to charge them!

I think EVs will be great once all the bugs are worked out but they are not quite ready for mass adoption just yet if you ask me. I think this is being forced on people too quickly.

I have some electric chainsaws and prefer them over gas for the most part. The torque is amazing but I will say I have gone through a couple batteries and they are NOT cheap!

1 Like

Not to mention the fire risk. When they go it is like a giant blow torch. No way you would even have time to get out of the car. Not ready for prime time. As musk says itā€™s common sense that we need oil and gas.

Maybe overstating a little, eh? Ok to charge cars this weekend except 4 pm to 9 pm from what Iā€™m seeing. Calif electric company always charges considerably more for elec use from 4 pm to 9 pm according to my monthly bill, and so most folk wouldnā€™t charge their cars during that period anyway. I donā€™t have elec car but still try to avoid using electricity during that period just to save on bill. Monthly bill shows % used during peak vs non-peak. Most months I use 90% non-peak, 10% peak.

True enough. Commercial airliners not gonna be flying on electric engines any time soon.