How much should I sell my aftermarket wheels for?

Hello guys. I need your help again.

I bought a set of aftermarket Vossen cv3 wheels ( Silver ) for my previous 2012Toyota Camry SE for $2,200 new.

I no longer need the wheels and about to list them for sale. The wheels have minor curb rashes on one of the rims. I should say the wheels are in good condition.

How much should I list them for as used ?

They’re 19x8.5

I am really having trouble understanding why someone would put 2200.00 wheels on a Camry .

I guess you need to talk to a local after market wheel store as they can better know what they might sell for where ever you are.

If I’m reading you correctly, are you insinuating Camrys are not worth spending on ?

I would check with a local wheel repair shop to see how much they’d charge to fix the damage. As for price, look for similar listings, see what they’re asking. Just a guess, as is, 1/2 what you paid.

Edit - also need to check what they sell for new, now. If they’re available for substantially less than you paid, that’ll reduce what you can get.

1 Like

There are no damages actually. Minor curb rashes are unpreventable. And they’re so small that one would not care about.

Any similar listings on craigslist or facebook?

1 Like

They’re still selling for roughly $500 a piece new.

Take from someone who has sold a number of sets of wheels… figure 1/4 the price you paid for them if they are a popular style. More if they have tires and TPMS sensors in them.

Scrap value of 40 bucks for the set, if they are not popular. Your lack of success trying to sell them will tell the actual answer.

Find out how many different types of cars they fit besides a Camry. It will help you sell them. A buyer won’t know the answer, but if you do, it will sell them.

3 Likes

That would be $550 for a set of almost new Vossen wheels after paying $2,200 for them.

That’s like giving them away.

You can charge whatever you want. But you don’t get to decide what people pay, the buyers do. The buyers will accept it or reject it.

You asked for opinions, you got mine.

3 Likes

I would post them for sale for $1100 obo, and be prepared to bargain down to $900. I would not go any lower at this point in time, however if they fail to sell in a month, I might lower my asking price and expectations.

Unfortunately, there is a limited market for people looking to buy aftermarket wheels for a non-collectible car which is over 10 years old. As the cars which these wheels fit become older, and depreciate further, that market becomes even smaller (and the price people will be interested in paying will become even lower).

1 Like

I didn’t mean to imply I rejected your advice. I sincerely appreciate it. I’m just saying selling something you paid $2,200 for, for $550 looks like a give away, especially that the wheels are still being sold for roughly $500 apiece new.

The new Toyota Camry and the 2012 Camry use the same bolt pattern.

I agree. And this is something a lot of people fail to understand. I shop for used tools on Craigslist, and you would be amazed how many people post their used tools for 90% or more of the current retail price–even when the tools in question are old and very used–and then they post that the price is “firm” and offers will not be accepted.

Well guess what? Making the price “firm” doesn’t magically make people willing to overpay. There are items on our local Craigslist that have literally been reposted every few days for over a year, and the sellers still won’t take a hint that maybe their “firm” price is too high. I have tried to negotiate with some of these people, and offer a fair price, despite the ad saying “firm”, and either got no response, or received a rude response full of insults and/or obscenity for simply pointing out the fact that the item in question is only worth X amount of dollars, and that for not much more than the asking price, I’d just go to a store and buy new with warranty.

3 Likes

For something which is used, but in good condition, my target buying or selling price is 50% to 60% of the original retail price, (or in the case of vintage tools, the current retail price of a similar tool). Assuming that the $2200 price includes tax, $1100 is 50% of that. If that price is before tax, increase your asking price to $1200 to account for that.

2 Likes

You posted their size at 19x18… I know that is wrong just from the picture. I’d guess 19x8 but a potential buyer won’t.

The bolt pattern may be the same for new Camrys but is the width, offset and pilot hole the same? You need to know this if you want to sell them to non-Camry buyers. And you do want to include other makes to help get the price you want.

2 Likes

I agree with this pricing. While I don’t get to choose who buy the wheels from me, I do get to choose not to give them away for nothing. So I’m thinking the best way to sell is to save the buyer some cash while saving myself some cash, too.

That’s when $1200 makes sense. Would a buyer prefer to spend $2,200 ( tax included ) for a new set, or pay $1000 less for an almost new set ?

19x8.5

Bolt pattern: 5x114.3

Typo in original post. Sorry.

As someone that Doesn’t own property in Martha’s Vineyard, I think your Camry looked good and also think they are very nice cars… The whole part of customizing your vehicle is to make it your own… The price you spend is your business no ones else’s, if you like it, that is all that should matter…
And no I am not a custom wheel guy unless it is for a performance advantage, but I do believe in to each their own…

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Since I was a little boy ( around the age of 5) I always liked cars and for them to look sporty. I can’t afford a Ferrari, Lamborghini or a Ford mustang, so I had to settle for something my pocket could handle. The Camry is a reliable car but can look bland stock. So I decided to enhance the appearance of the one I had, all the while keeping the engine stock. It made me happy to do what I did with the car. I took photos of it. I stared at it daily. It was just a beautiful car in my sight.

Occasionally at Walmart I got some people hating on the car, like would say to me “ Who does that to a Camry ?” And “ Remove the racing decals from the car because that’s a granny grocery cart “

At the end of the day I enjoy what I’m allowed to afford and cherish and be thankful.

1 Like