How Much Should I ask for my 1979 Chevy Caprice Classic?

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask a favor regarding a good starting price when selling my 1979 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. It is in very good condition and only has 72,000 actual miles.

I apologize in advance if this is duplicate. I just signed up and not sure if my original went out.

Thank you,

Glen

You might look at ebay and see what they sell for (‘completed listings’). Then use that as your final (not asking) price.

Contrary to its name, this is not a classic! Old cars, especially those who use a lot of gas, go for very little. Where I live, just looking at the papers, you would be able to get $1300 or so based on the low mileage for that year. With high mileage ones, they go for $500 or so or people give them away.

However, as advised offer it on the internet, such as Kijiji, the ads are free, and someone will call.

Ebay it and put an ad in the local paper starting at $1500 or B.R.O. You might get lucky.

@tweetmycar - what is the condition? And be honest, 'good for a ‘79’ is not enough. Paint? Interior? Engine? Where has it spent most of the time? In snow areas? What would someone need to do to get it to ‘excellent’ condition? Paint? Tires? New seats?

The only way I could see you getting anything over $1000 would be if you sold it to someone who was into “Donks”

If it’s cherry, ask $1000 and take the first offer over $500.

Craigslist is the way to go. Where I live, people look on Craigslist for everything local.

My guide shows about 1500 dollars if it’s in nice condition and the buyer really wants one.

My parents used to have a 78 Caprice wagon many years ago and it was an unbelievably good car although as to looks and class, it had none IMO. The fake wood on the side…
My mother used to complain all the time about car makers not building land yacht wagons like that because according to her; “everybody wants one, so why don’t they build them?” She refused to believe that she was in the distinct minority on wanting a barge like that.

The car was eventually relegated to use as a hauler for garden supplies for their lake property and replaced with a new car. When it was unloaded (still running fairly well) it had the original untouched motor and transmission in it with 410k miles on the clock. Even more stunning to me was the fact that the carburetor had held up all of that time and never had to be overhauled.