How Good is Lancer Mitsubishi?

Thinking of buying a lancer, What is your opinion

The Evo model is the one to get. The Ralliart model is toned down version, but still pretty quick. The base model Lancer is just an ordinary econobox.

Mitsubishi cars are relatively good and reliable; not quite up to Toyota and Honda level. I had a Lancer disguised as a Dodge Colt when Chrysler sold them. It was the cheapest car per mile to keep running I ever had.

Since there are now enough dealers it is not a risky buy; you have to like the car, of course and the only way to make sure of that is to drive the exact model you are going to buy. You might rent one for a weekend (cheap) to really make sure this is the car you want to drive for the next 10 years or so.

Thanks for reply, I think if I get a good deal on the Lancer ES I’ll go for it.
By the way where are they made? Do you know?

Just look at the window stickers. There will be a sticker that states the origin of the engine and the transmission, and the overall US-made content, which in this case may be zero.

I believe that this model is made in Japan, but I could be wrong on that count. On the door jamb there is a plate that states the final assembly point.

As to the car itself, Consumer Reports rates it #12 out of 15 small sedans that they tested. For about the same money, you can get the top-rated small sedan, the Hyundai Elantra, which also gets better gas mileage. Among the other small sedans that bested the Lancer in the ratings are (in rank order) the Civic (in several varied models), the Mazda 3, the Subaru Impreza, the Ford Focus, the Toyota Corolla, and the Suzuki SX4. The cars that were rated lower than the Lancer were the Nissan Sentra, the Kia Spectra, and the Chevy Cobalt.

Mine was made in Japan, but the later models(base models, and some pickups) were made in Thailand which has many Japanese assembly plants. Mitsubishi has a plant in the US that they operated jointly with Chrysler, but they are trying to sell it.

I have rented most of the econoboxes over time. It seems low price is your attraction maybe to this one. I would definitely try the Hyundai Elantra or Chevy Cobalt in and then decide.

The Civic, Corolla, Mazda3 are top tier but maybe the price does not appeal.

The reliability of the Mits cars is only average.

My daughter is a big Mitsubishi fan (3 of them over time) but I’ll say that I’m not a fan of them.
A couple of years ago while visiting her I found she had a new Mitsubishi Lancer demonstrator that the Mitsu. dealer had actually allowed her to keep over the weekend in an effort to make the sale.

I took a couple of rides in it, drove it, and was not impressed. In general, it had a very tinny feel to it and just felt flimsy. In fact, “tin can” was the phrase I used to her when she took me for a ride in it.
On average the Mitsubishis have also been more prone to repair work (not counting maintenance/wear/tear items) than other vehicles. Maybe it’s me because I get saddled with the job keeping them up, but after a certain number of repairs that should not be occurring an attitude develops.

As mentioned, the Evo would be the one to get. The base Lancer is a pretty forgettable car.
You wanted opinions. That’s mine anyway.

I agree with Fo, the base model is slowwwwwwwww and boring. If you’re going to get something slow and boring, you may as well get something with a better track record.

Well, as I pointed out in my earlier post, being ranked 12th in a field of 15 is not exactly a stellar rating.

Then how does the 2009 VW Jetter rate any input will help me, I drove one and I like the feel.
It has a lot of toys and whistles, how good are they? Thanks

It essentially ranks at the middle of the pack, and it has “average” reliability, which is actually good for a VW.

Can you explain?

Most Volkswagens in the past, and many still, have a dismal reliability rating and very high repair costs if anything goes wrong. So a VW with an average rating is really good news. It will still have very expensive maintenance ($100 oil changes) and high repair costs once something has to be replaced.

All those toys and whistles on a VW are potential money pits; these cars are best bought and driven by knowledgeable owners (well heeled engineers) who can afford the maintenance. Although VW means People’s Car in German, this is not a good choice for the average American, who traditionally is not punctual about maintenance.

Agree, all Volkswagens feel good when you sit in them and drive them; Germans insist on those qualities. Germans also get rid of their VWs at about 1/2 the age and mileage that Americans would. Therein lies the problem, plus most VWs for sale in the US are made in Mexico in a plant that has had many problems.

Docnick, Thanks for really giving a good explaination.
franke

To Doc’s explanation, I want to add that among the most troublesome parts on VWs have historically been the electronic components. And, since modern cars gain more and more electronic components each year, that should tell the OP something about what to expect–in addition to those $100 oil changes.

I really think that the OP should buy a copy of the Consumer Reports New Car Buyer’s Guide. This will explain all of the topics that we are discussing, and it might help him/her to zero in on some car models, rather than going randomly from one dealership to another.

Ultimately, an extended test drive is essential, but before deciding which dealers to visit, that publication summarizes everything that he/she needs to know in order to make some preliminary decisions.

If your supermarket’s magazine section does not have this CR publication, it is available at all Barnes & Noble and Borders book stores.

I drive an ES, Franke. It’s a nice ride. Doesn’t fit in my garage with my other vehicle, so I’m looking at the Suzuki SX4. I like AWD and this car is small enought to fit. We can chat about the lancer, if you’d like.

I’ll echo andrew’s recommendation of the Mazda 3. If you can drive stick, try out the Speed 3 version; 263hp/280tq turbo charged engine, around $22k new