Horn doesn't work

My 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, purchased new in August, 2008, in Virginia, has a horn that only works when mashed really hard on one of the horn icons on the steering wheel. It is not possible to make a modest “beep” alert that way or activate the horn on other parts of the wheel. The horn contacts have been replaced twice. The selling dealership promised to contact Chrysler for more help. (Silence). This week the service manager at a Maryland Jeep dealership said, after I paid $250, that the horn is designed to work this way. “There’s nothing wrong with it.”

I owned a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee without this problem. In fact, I’ve owned or rented dozens of cars without ever encountering a horn with such limited utility. Are there any Jeep owners out there with a similar fussy horn?

@Pitcrew I would ask for some money back. If everything’s normal, why did they write up a repair order and charge you?

I guess you have never owned a Saturn, mine is the same way. Personally I think it is a safety issue because finding the sweet spot to make the horn work in an emergency situation is almost impossible.

Pitcrew…I would take your horn problem to a good independent mechanic and let them take a look. I have owned several Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. The large steering wheel padding does make operating the horn a little difficult at times. Cold weather makes it worse. The problem only affected a couple of my Jeeps.