Honda push button start problem

I have a 2014 accord, same problem. Took it in to dealer today. They said it was the starter. Will post if this is truly it.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket retrofit of a REGULAR key for a 2014 accord? Prox keys are such s terrible idea.

This year old thread has several different people asking questions. Please start your own thread so all replies will be to you only.

2 Likes

It more than likely is. That was the problem with mine. It seems Honda
Accords in the 2000 model years have starters with short life spans. Mine
lasted 4 years and cost $600 to replace with a 3 year warranty on parts and
labor (not bad).

I have 2014 accord 4 cylinder model. It is only 3yr old and about 40k miles. I had same problem, not starting just click click. I brought to the dealer and they diagnosed that starting motor needed to be replaced. I got it done next day. Fortunately, it was 2 weeks before warranty ends. But this issue should not happen to only a 3 year old car. So disappointed

Well first of all thanks for adding to a thread that has several people on it.
You got the starter replaced under warranty and things break on vehicles so I don’t understand why you are disappointed.

Yep stuff breaks regardless of make. Transmission at 20K, wheel bearing at 20K, etc. As long as they cover it, no problem. That’s what warranties are for because manufacturing isn’t perfect.

My 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V4 was having the push button issue in July 2017. The Honda dealer I purchased it from new was unable to duplicate the issue. I took it to another Honda dealer who was also not able to duplicate the issue, although the lot porter who went to move it into the back for diagnostic experienced the very same issue
and then it started in a couple of minutes. I called American Honda Corporation and opened up a case. I was told to return to the last Honda dealer and have them diagnose the problem. I did that and they diagnosed the problem as the starter. With 62,000 miles on the odometer, the dealer wanted $853.00 parts and labor. American Honda Motor offered to handle it as a in-warranty claim and pay 90% of the what it would cost if under warranty. It cost me $70.00.

Honda seems to treat its customers pretty well, from the posts we get here anyway.

Sincere thanks for taking the time to write back and let us know the result. I’m glad it’s resolved, very pleased that Honda covered 90%, and vary happy to hear back.
Happy motoring.

I too have trouble with my 2013 Honda Accord and not starting with the keyless ignition. I have changed battery in the keyfob and even tried the “extra” keyfob that came with car but it still SOMETIMES won’t start unless I wait a few minutes and keep trying then finally it will start. This only happens maybe once a week and the car has 59,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and he told me that I was putting my “cell phone” too close to keyfob causing it not to get a signal to switch. After a couple days it happened again and had no cell phone anywhere around it. The Dealer told me there was NOTHING they could do unless it would never start therefore “then” they could pinpoint the “problem”
 I’m at wit’s end as the car is out of warranty and afraid someday I will be stuck as it seems even the Honda dealer can’t fix it
until it dies “permanently” and then
they will know whats wrong. PLEASE ADVISE !!!

That’s not entirely true. If you’re willing to leave the Accord at the dealership and pay them by the hour they’ll be happy to try to start it up every couple of hours, waiting for it to fail. I think what they mean by “NOTHING they could do” is that it could be very expensive to you to approach the “fix” using that method. You’d lose the use of the car for weeks, maybe even months, plus you’d be paying them every time they started it. And they might have a storage fee, for the space it is taking. But if you’re willing to do it that way, I’m quite certain they’ll accommodate you. And it will likely result in a fix. Eventually.

If I had that problem my diy’er self, and messing with the transmission safety switch didn’t work, I’d run a set of test wires from the starter motor to the passenger compartment, and hook them up to a volt meter inside to watch the voltages at the starter every time I started the engine. Eventually it would fail to start, and those voltage readings would provide a good clue what the problem was.

Prematurely worn starter solenoid contacts seems to be a common problem with these cars. If this problem is difficult for you to demonstrate to a shop you might consider skipping the diagnosis and have the starter replaced.

1 Like

Thanks Navada
That’s exactly what I’m going to “try”
If that doesn’t work it’s gone

I too have had issues with 2013 Honda Accord not starting and even calling wrecker and then all of a sudden it starts. I took to Honda Dealer and he told me unless problem was “constant” that then they could pinpoint the “problem” and fix it but this problem would work fine for a couple days and then would not start. I

It looks to me like with Alllll these same people with same year Honda’s that the Honda Dealer would have heard about this and at least do a recall but Nooo they denied and responsibility or even suggestions. The Dealer Service Mgr told me that it might have been problems with leaving cell phone to close to key fob
 Yea Right!

To make a long story short I decided to replace the starter and solenoid even if I wasn’t sure as I have read many times that this “might be” the problem. The Dealer wanted almost $1000 to replace this and so I decided to go to a local repair shop that ONLY rebuilt starters and alternators and had him replace the starter and solenoid even though I only had 60,000 miles on car.

After paying him $130 for COMPLETELY rebuilt starter and $70 labor to put it on I have had ZERO problems and my Honda starts every time. So go get yourself a good mechanic and don’t think you have to get a “Honda” starter which would be way overpriced but go to Auto Parts store (preferably NAPA) get yourself a starter and save yourself a fortune but getting your mechanic to do it. Your problem solved !!

Why is it that Honda knowing there is a problem won’t admit it ?

1 Like

That’s wise advice Mikey.
Happy motoring.

I’ve had a 3 starter placed on my 2013 Accord by the dealer. The last one was in August of 2016. By November of 2016 my car was doing the exact same thing. Mine you I’ve paid for all of these starters out of pocket. Honda claims they never heard of this. It’s clear when you look this up on line this is a problem.

FYI: Ck out this link below.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

I, too, am a fan of local small auto electric shops, where you take in an alternator or starter, etc. for them to diagnose and repair or rebuild.

First off I’m not a certified mechanic and I know this thread is old but it’s still a hot topic. With that said I build and tune 700hp bmws and Mercedes, write code for ecus and dmes and have build more than a couple Jeep tjs from the ground up so I know a little about cars and am all about the diyers. After reading all the posts I would summarize where it’s push button or key ignition everyone is having a “no crank no start” issue intermittently. Brand loyalty aside I stand by you get what you pay for and my gf happen to have choose a late model accord sedan before we met as it fit her needs when she bought it new. It’s the past 15k her serpentine belt shredded two dealer installed batteries failed and the idler tension pully was replaced a third time to prevent another serpentine belt shredding. I can’t call this car a lemon because obviously this chassis is plagued with these problems.

Longer story short she has been having this issue intermittently since battery number one change. The dealer assuring her every time the issue is resolved. Now it’s gotten to the point 9/10 times it’s a no crank no start and just out of warranty. I told her exactly what would happen at her dealership visit. 2 hr drive 100 dollar “diagnostic” fee service advisors regurates exactly what most have been told. “Your starter is going bad needs to be repacked” 880 parts and labor.

1. I could hand make a starter for less, it’s an 1 hour labor for experienced home mechanic 2-4 for a knowledgeable diver.

2. They didn’t diagnose anything they just go down the replacement part tree in the Honda tech manual for “ignition” problems

3. 90 percent of you and this has been mentioned above. It’s a voltage issue I.e. loose connection, bad ground cooreded wire start at your battery terminals the work your way down cheaking each and every connection. Worst case it’s your starter solonoid which does require removal of the starter and disassembly. That’s rarely the case from everything I’ve researched. In her case it was a cooreded power cable at the starter motor cost me 5.85 plus tax to replace.

Please people read these replies from folks that have similar problems. I’d definitely recommend a trusted indie shop if you can’t diy before choking almost 1k for a new starter.

1 Like