Honda push button start problem

Interesting thoughts. Thanks! I’ll try to work with the switch a bit and see if that seems to cause an improved response to cranking. Thanks again!

I’ve been having the same issue with my 2013 Accord V6…makes a loud noise and the brake and steering column lock up but my radio turns on and lights on the dash. I have to try 3 or 4 times and then it will finally start. This just started happening about 2 months ago and doesn’t happen all of the time but makes me nervous that I’ll get stuck somewhere so going to call the dealership tomorrow to get an appointment and will mention the information I’ve found here…thanks for posting!

Hi I have a 2014 Honda Acccord 2.4L with a push button start and it does the same thing. About 5% of the time when I press the start button the vehicle would crank for a long time and would start up fine. Asked the dealer about this and they are not able to duplicate the problem. Any ideas on what I should do?

I have a 2013 Accord Ex-l that is gibing me problems similar to everyone’s here. It first started about a month ago. I initially thought it was my battery so I got a jump start and it worked without a hitch. I then went to the local autozone and bought/installed a new duralast gold battery. It started right up after I installed it. A day or two after that the problem persisted. I’d push the start button and there’d be a click sound with no turn. I’d wait and try a time or two or three more and it would finally crank. I thought it was a one-off thing until it started happening about 60% of the time I attempted a start. Seems it’s the starter from what I’m reading but what upsets me is that this car only has 55k miles on it and I take extreme care of it (almost like new). Should a starter go bad after 4.5 years/55k miles of ownership? One reason I bought a new car and a Honda was because I thought I’d be shielded from such problems at an early useful life (8-10 years).

Did anyone figure out their problem if it wasn’t the starter? I see some mentioning the solenoid switch. I’ll keep researching the problem before I take it to be replaced (600-over $1k from what I was told by the Honda dealer). This is going to put a dent in my finances and also my opinion of Honda going forward. This shouldn’t be happening to people before the car is paid off. Disappointed much.

1 Like

Please start your own thread instead of tagging on one that is a year old with multiple people asking about different vehicles. All that does is confuse people.

4 Likes

This thread is related to Honda Accord push button start problems and the last post was February 2017. I don’t see the problem. Quit trolling. Stay in your own lane “Volvo…”

2 Likes

The problem is that there are multiple people with multiple cars and it is very difficult to tell who is who with what symptoms. A car not starting when you push the button does not have to be the same cause. Just very confusing but if not battery or cables, time to see the dealer.

1 Like

If someone wants to ask other owners with the same problem what the fix was, starting a new thread won’t work. Those people will not be notified.

Starting a new thread will get the “confused” to participate in the discussion with things like “Is this a “Proper” Button? Or some kind of touch sensitive type of thingy?” A Honda technician should be familiar with keyless ignition.

1 Like

I am struggling to see the problem. The thread title is “Honda push button
start problem”. From the title I would think that any post/reply to a post
about having a Honda with a push button start problem is fair game… The
thread topic doesn’t assume anything except that you have a Honda with a
push button start that is not starting consistently/at all. As far as
people having multiple cars and it being difficult to tell “who is who with
what symptoms” (I don’t get this statement as each poster has an identity
and more than likely said the year and model of vehicle along with the
problem). Thanks for the advice. Pardon me for not understanding the issue
as it relates to my reply to another’s comment stating my similar problem
relating to “Honda push button start problem.” At any rate, I will create a
new thread for each post I create.

1 Like

Just because a car has push button start and won’t start doesn’t mean its a problem with the push button start mechanism was the point. It could just be a dead battery or bad cables or a charging system issue. Its like saying every car having a problem with a key start is the same and should be in the same discussion. Just very confusing.

Gotcha. Well, I guess if the title was more specific I would have limited
my reply to what I knew the problem was (if I knew the problem). But since
the thread is a vague topic relating to push button starters on Honda’s,
any post about a problem when initiating the push button start is relevant
for this thread.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll continually improve my posts based on the
advice I received in this thread.

You can’t please all the people all the time. I commend you for taking time to look at previously posted applicable topics, and sometimes we get surprised by an old post response from the op. Sometimes there is information available in the old posts. I fall into the category that if the old post is the same as your question I do not have a problem with it. Now off I go to sesame street, hope Oscar the grouch is sleeping!

It is perfectly reasonable for someone to post on an older thread, especially if it is the same car and same basic problem. Push button start problem on an Accord, this thread is a good place to post. Or alternately post on your own thread. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

@Nmsims2 : First off, when you say it won’t start, do you mean it cranks but doesn’t pop and run? Or does does it no crank at all, that rrr rrr rrr sound. If so, does it make any sounds at all, like a click? If it is a no-crank, no click problem that is often caused by a safety switch that prevents the car from cranking if it isn’t in neutral or park (if an automatic) or the clutch is depressed (if manual).

When I push the button with the brake depressed, the mechanical robotic
sound goes off (normal) and then a single click noise with no engine
turn/partial turn/or noise of any kind. What you described as the “no crank
at all, that rrr rrr rrr sound” sounds about right. But the single "click"
happens before that. My car is automatic with the 2.4 liter engine.

I’m not familiar with the Honda push button start technology, but I have a home-brew push button start on my Corolla. When it behaves the way you describe, i.e. push the button and all you hear is a “click” seeming to come from the engine compartment, but no rrr rrr rrr sound, for me anyway that’s usually a problem with either the battery, the battery connections, or the starter motor. The way to tell which is by doing a couple of voltage measurements at the starter motor during attempting cranking. If the voltage is making it to the starter motor ok, but the starter motor doesn’t crank the engine, it’s likely the starter motor at fault. If the voltage isn’t making it tot he starter motor, more likely to be the battery or battery connections. There’s other things that can cause this same symptom to, but that is where to start.

I’m wondering if the remote starter has anything to do with this. I’ve noticed that this issue happens more when it’s being started with the remote starter OR after it shuts down from being started with the remote starter. I say this because my 2014 Honda started having a similar issue and started after the car was parked for 12 days. The battery has been checked and is fine but even ever charging it, the issue appears to only happen when it’s somehow associated with the remote car started. Does anyone happen to have this issue and not have a remote car starter installed?

For crying out loud . How many people are on this thread ?
As for the last one, stop using the remote starter and problem solved.

1 Like

Hey George. Thanks for the insight. Before I had the suspicion of it being the starter, I replaced the battery. I figured that had to be what it was. Right after replacing the same problem persisted. I never self-tested the voltage as you described, but I took it into a credible shop (per google reviews) and they confirmed that the starter was bad/going bad. I replaced it and since then haven’t had an issue.

It’s not a remote starter problem. It’s a PUSH BUTTON start with a key-less
entry key fob. Why do you feel the need to troll this thread? Especially when you don’t even have a Honda (per your username)? If you feel you are such an expert in the area of Honda’s then maybe do like the others and offer up real attempts to diagnose the problem(s) rather than criticize and be condescending. Never have understood why people like you feel the need to rain down negativity and bitterness on others for no apparent reason…

Good luck in life and finding happiness.

Glad you got your no-crank problem resolved. I always hate it when I’m not sure whether the car will crank or not. It gets old trying to find a place to park facing downhill all the time, anticipating a coast start … lol … No-cranks are the single most frequent problem posted here I’d guess. There’s an electrical solenoid operated switch inside the starter motor that is a frequent source of problems. It handles 100-200 amps of current and the contacts burn out eventually. That’s probably what was going wrong with yours. I had that exact problem one time, and I took the starter motor to an auto electric shop, who fixed it for short money. It’s an oem starter, so I figured I’d be better off fixing it than replacing with an aftermarket part. There’s other problems inside the starter that can occur, some economically fixable, some not, but the solenoid contacts seem to be the most common are definitively economically fixable.