Honda Odyssey whining noise while turning FIX

Our 2010 Honda Odyssey has been making a whining noise for some time now. It seemed to me that it was clearly the power steering pump. That said, I read this thread and then called the dealer. He did a VIN check on my vehicle and told me this:

“HONDA HAS EXTENDED THE WARRANTY FOR THE POWER STEERING PUMPS TO 7 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES SO BRING IT IN AND WE WILL REPLACE IT”

Thus, do not go spend money to get this fixed without talking to the dealer. When I have seen that people have spent money to solve this problem, I was surprised that I had not seen a post like the one I am making.

Good luck to those with a whining power steering pump.

Sometimes Car Manufacturers Have “Secret” Warranties On Certain Things That They Have Found To Be Defective, Through No Fault Of The Consumers.

Apparently Honda has known of a weakness in Odyssey P/S pumps since prior to a November 25, 2010 service bulletin that outlines diagnosing and then possibly replacing the pump, under the normal warranty terms. The nearly five year old bulletin covered 2005-2010 Models.

Sometimes a manufacturer will reimburse, to some extent, money paid by customers that had this repair performed, thinking they were out of warranty coverage. I don’t know if that is a provision of this extended warranty or not. One would need to produce some type of receipt.

CSA

Good post. It’s always a good idea to be aware of the recall and customer interest campaigns in place for your own vehicles. The dealership are usually happy to provide this information if you ask. For the 2010 Odyssey I notice five recalls w/a quick internet search

1. power steering pump
  2. torq converter lockup clutch shudder
  3. piston ring alignment causing misfiring
    4, 5 fuel filter/fuel leaks