Honda Odyssey throwing SRS codes

I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L. The van has given us 230,000 miles of mostly trouble free miles over the years.

Recently the SRS light came on. I tried to reset it, but it comes back right away. Went out and got an OBDEII reader to read the codes as my old one can not scan the SRS on a Honda.

I get back 3 codes, none of which I can find in the factory service manual so I am wondering if the control unit or some electrical gremlin is hindering me and also was hoping someone here has seen something similar.

The OBDII gives:

71-42: ODS unit does not calibrate
13-34: Faulty inside front passenger’s weight sensor
12-10: Open Or Increased Resistance in The Right Front Airbag First Inflator

If I clear the codes, they come back immediately via the OBDII reader or following the pin method in the SRS reset jumper.

Thanks

Honda Odyssey: Airbag Light Stays On Diagnosis | Drivetrain Resource (700r4transmissionhq.com)

Looks like the battery is bad. Will replace and report back.

I would check the connections under the front passenger seat.

It might also be debris in the seatbelt buckle. That was a common issue in early 2000s Accords with an SRS error. Remove the buckle, disassemble it, and clean it out. It might be an opportune time to do this when you are checking the electrical connections.

Could be a problem with the airbag wires going to the passenger side. The Occupant Detection System and weight sensor are both in the passenger’s seat.

The other fault with the passenger airbag should be unrelated to the seat. If they are both caused by the same thing then maybe there is a problem with the wiring close to the airbag unit or the airbag contol unit itself.

Problem solved.

The issue was with the wiring going to the airbag #1 on the passenger side. So the 12-10 code seems the correct. I had my 15 year old son replace the blend door mode actuator and it appears he disconnected the airbag connector.

So, the odd thing is that I plugged it in and the other codes went away with it. To me, the other codes were bogus and I have sent an email to Innova, as I think the bluetooth device that I got for $100 is marginal at best. If need be, I will get a better scanner in the future.

So, it was not the battery, and everything led back to the 12-10 error.

More likely the airbag C.U. has crummy software on it. It faults the other two things because they depend on a fuctioning passenger airbag to be useful.

Could be. I have no experience with scanning ABS or SRS. Knowing these systems all have their own controllers, you could be right.

-Bennett

How many wires were in that connector? Are you positive they only dealt with the actual airbag? Because those other faults are associated with the SRS sensing.

The scanner only reads and reports what the control module detects and provides for fault codes when queried. The software communication protocol is purposely designed to eliminate miscommunication- packetized and verified. So the chances the Innova device made a mistake in reporting the stored codes is almost nil. For ECM codes, it is fairly well known that certain error conditions will trip numerous codes, some seemingly unrelated to the problem. You have to look at the whole picture and target the most likely “prime” suspect first in doing troubleshooting. I don’t see why the SRS and other control unit diagnostics wouldn’t be similar. They have limited vision into the entire system and many sub-programs have dependencies…

2 Likes

Thanks TwinTurbo. I don’t have another scanner to compare it to, but the first two codes don’t seem valid at all. Well, they are not documented anywhere, nor has anyone else reported them before. What I do know is that once I plugged the connecter back in, I had no DTCs, even after a full scan.

Now that being said, another reason I bought this device is that I wanted to be able to scan my 2004 F-350. It connects to the ECU and tells me that there are no advanced scan options. When I scan the motor I get back no DTCs which I know is wrong because when I use my ODBLink MX, it shows me the two things that I know are faulty which is the ABS CU and one of my glow plugs is bad. Put the Innova device in and nothing. Their website states it is compatible and advanced scans are supported for ABS and SRS. For this reason, I will probably return the item. Still waiting to hear back from Innova.

If anyone has a good recommendation on an intermediate (non-pro) scanner that will work with my 2007 Honda’s and my Ford F-350, it would be great. I will try that route.

Thanks

Oh, only 2 wires in the connector that was the issue. It was the one just above the blend door motors on the passenger side.

They were not bogus, they were caused by the 12-10. W/O the air bag connected the occupancy sensor won’t read and the computer can’t calibrate for the weight in the seat.

1 Like

By bogus, I can not find the codes documented anywhere, including the factory repair manual. If the codes will show for all Odyssey and some other models, then maybe the issue is that Honda did not document them.

Wonder what a HDS uniti would find? In the repair guide, it does cover 12-10, so if one should only take documented codes into consideration, then fine.

The 71-34 code is interesting in that there is a documented 81-34 code with same/similar description.

It’s not that unusual to get several diagnostic codes posted in computer memory when there’s actually only one problem, even something as simple a disconnected connector. The codes are often defined such that the lowest number is the most likely culprit. So good idea to work on the lowest number code first.

1 Like

Info on those codes is probably only contained at the manufacturer’s service data website. It’s often possible to purchase a single use subscription for a small fee. Service-data providing companies such as All-Data usually have similar options. If all of that sounds too complicated and expensive, you could ask someone who already subscribes, like your local auto repair shop, or at a dealership shop. Googling makes sense as a start, might get lucky.

1 Like