Honda CRV is all locked up, Please Help!

Ok, I’m writing in for a friend, and I’m still waiting to get all the info, so take it easy on me, but here goes:

Two nights ago (Sunday, December 16th) my friend was leaving work when she found that neither her **ignition would turn,nor would her steering wheel. The year, make, and model of the car is a 2006 Honda CRV. She tried to add oil and gas to the vehicle, thinking that shortages of both might’ve been the issue, but to no avail. Triple AAA was called, and they were baffled as well. The car is now sitting at house, after having been towed there. My friend would like to get whatever advice she can get before moving forward, as car repairs are expensive, especially when you don’t have much money.

Any advice/insight would be very appreciated!
Thanks!

Is she sure she was trying her car? and that is was her car she had towed?

3 Likes

Reminds me of a story a fer years back.

An old lady in Texas came from the store to her car and found two or three men in her car. She reached into her Purse and pulled out some hog leg pistol and forced them out of her car. The men went running and when she tried her key in the ignition it didn’t work. As she sat there stumped, shwe realized that her car was one row over.
She was not charged!!!

Yosemite

3 Likes

A worn key or worn lock might not turn. The locking mechanism prevents the steering wheel from turning unless the key is turned some number of degrees. The steering wheel can be wiggled a few degrees clockwise and counterclockwise, though. Did she try moving the steering wheel a little bit left and right while trying to turn the key? That takes pressure off the lock and may et it rotate to the Start position. Does she have another key to try?

If it is indeed her car;
Usually this happens when the key is removed when the steering wheel is being held. Meaning the wheel wants to turn opposite to the way it is being held. So she needs to try turning the steering wheel the same direction she was holding it to relieve pressure on the locking mechanism.

1 Like

This could be a problem with the steering wheel being turned while the vehicle was off, locking it in a position where there is tension on the steering column and keeping the key from turning all the way to “start.”

Tell your friend to try turning the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key.

It’s a long shot, but it might be the issue.

Sometimes people accidentally pull on the steering wheel when they get out of a vehicle, and that can lock the steering wheel and put pressure on the steering column that keeps the key from turning.

2 Likes

That’s two matching responses. So ask your friend if AAA tried that.

Sounds like the ignition lock cylinder is binding/seized. Tension on the steering lock seems unlikely, the tow truck driver would have tried to turn the ignition himself to be able to drive the vehicle onto the truck.

Yup, she’s sure it’s her car!

I gotta agree with everyone else but my one question is, how did she try to add oil and gas to it if it were all locked up? Did she walk to a station and get a gas can? Just curious. I’m just going to spout off a little in general so don’t take offense. I don’t remember anymore who was sponsoring it but in Sioux Falls they were having clinics for new drivers. They would go through how to maintain a car and how things worked a little bit. It really sounded like a great idea since it seems a lot of people have absolutely no idea how or why a car works outside of turning the key. I mean everyone needs a little basic understanding. I remember back in 72 or so I rented a Gremlin with a few guys. Went to take the key out and couldn’t get it out. None of the guys with me could figure it out either and one worked at an auto parts house. Finally saw a little button and pushed that and the key came out. Who would have thought? Push the button to get the key out. Sometimes its just simple stuff if you know how something works but then knowing when it needs to go to the shop is one of the reasons for knowing a little bit of how it works.

Bad part is she paid to tow it home instead of to a shop. Now if the key cylinder is shot, it’s going to have to get towed again or maybe a lock smith can make a house call to at least provide a good diagnosis.

1 Like