Honda Accord Transmission Life Expectancy

Hi everyone, I have a 2009 Honda Accord V6 with about 120K miles on it. I’ve always heard that Honda transmissions are a weak point. How long should I expect the transmission to run well? I hear some years are better than others. I change the trans oil (drain and fill) about every 30K miles. So far everything seems fine. Anything else I can do to help it last longer. I don’t drive like a maniac (most of the time!).

That gen Accord has had higher than usual transmission failure rate, mostly the 4 cylinder but that was also the higher volume sold car, so yours might be in that group too. I would just do what you are doing. Change the fluid and save money for a trans replacement vs car replacement as 2009 is pretty old by now anyway and newer cars have more safety features.

1 Like

Make sure to use genuine Honda fluid. For some reason people seem to have more issues when they don’t.

1 Like

Do you have a source of data on how these numbers compare to others?

Drain and fill at 30K is probably a good idea. You don’t get nearly all the old fluid out by doing this so the short intervals will keep it fresh enough. Odds are it will treat you well for a while if you keep this up.

As mentioned, use the OEM Honda fluid only.

Sounds like you’ve taken care of the transmission; the fluid changes at 30K miles are right on the money.

If the transmission is not acting up now, I’d drive on and not worry about it. Once you feel any slipping, jerking, or anything else weird, start planning on an expensive rebuild. Or perhaps a new car, up to you.

1 Like

I had a 2005 Accord EX V6 and I sold it at 187,000 miles. The used car manager at the dealership remarked how well the drive train ran at that mileage. I changed engine oil at 7000-7500 miles and transmission fluid at about 35,000 miles.

1 Like

The transmission problem years were earlier, 1998-2005, according to carcomplaints. That year had other problems. But you’re doing great with your fluid changes, it should last.
2009 Honda Accord Problems, Defects & Complaints (carcomplaints.com)

Idemitsu is the manufacturer of Honda transmission fluid. Can be bought on Amazon for a lot cheaper than the Honda dealer. MaxLife also makes a DW-1 tranny fluid. I’d like to hear what fluids people are using who’ve had Honda tranny problems.

I didn’t have problems and changed about every 40,000 miles with the Honda recommended trans fluid, draining it three times at each interval as Honda recommended. I thought I’d reinforce the approved procedure.