Honda Accord ignition coil

The “check engine” light in my '96 Accord (V6) came on and apparently it requires a new ignition coil. Does anyone know off the top of their head what a reasonable amount of time for labor for this would be?

Thanks!

The last one I swapped out took about 30 minutes.

Tester

While it may well need a new coil, error codes don't really say "needs new coil" they say this or that voltage etc. is too high or low or whatever.  Usually there is more than one possible interpretation.  If you don't trust whoever to give you the right time for the work, why are you trusting them to know what needs to be done?

The engine computer gives so much information, about various engine problems, and that information is so often just thrown away. What is the trouble code? Auto Zone, and other auto parts stores, will read (scan) the check engine light for free. I would replace the antique spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, first.

If the car has less than 150k, the entire job should be free at the dealership. 96 and 97 models are covered for 14 years and 150k on many systems that turn on the check engine light.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I’ve NEVER heard of this warranty! NO car company warranties electrical parts this long, except maybe the new lifetime warranty Dodge is offering (but read the mouse print closely). ROLFLMAO!!!

Joe, I think you are making a good point here. My experience with coils is that they work or don’t work, no in between. If the OP needs a new coil, then the car would not be running.

You’ve heard of it now. This warrantee is the result of a settlement between Honda and the EPA and it covers everything that could cause the check engine light to come on except for transmission codes. It even requires Honda to provide one set of spark plugs and spark plug wires at 75k miles.

They speaketh true. All 1996 and 1997 Honda made vehicles, and 1995 Honda Civics are covered. EPA (Enviornmental Protection Agency) made the announcement in 06/8/98. Click on this web site for details: http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/cases/civil/caa/amerhonda.html

That was very helpful. The dealer in fact did do this job for free (once they got the part in, which took a couple of days).

Thanks!

good job I learned somthing today and I only had 7 minutes left today .