Holy Cow, I paid $2.05 today in Minnesota

Last night the sign said $2.10 so I stopped today to top off and the pump said $2.05. Only needed a few gallons but let the good times roll. Not so good for North Dakota though but I’m sure this won’t last. Saudis are already borrowing to make up the difference.

Supposedly it’s below 2 bucks somewhere in New Hope. First time it’s been convenient to be on empty in awhile. :wink:

1.889 in Dallas.

I know of one station in NH that’s $1.96.

I paid $1.99/gal this afternoon in MD. And we have high gas taxes. I was surprised to see it so low. Just last week it was $2.15 at the same station.

Regular has been $1.76 here in Denver for over a week.

Oil prices are down near $40/barrel. More than 60% the drilling rigs in the US have shut down, our production is now dropping.

I paid $1.74/gallon today, at the Costco gas station in North Brunswick, NJ.

Now is the best time to race with reckless abandon to produce the most fuel efficient cars ever manufactured or the best and least expensive electric/alternative fuel vehicles. To me, it seems like a golden opportunity to learn from the past, not to forget its lessons.

When a starter for a pro football team goes down due to an injury and his replacement enters the game, the opponent often goes immediately, directly after the back-up with a specific play to exploit that position.

Reprieve. We’ve been handed a temporary reprieve. It seems the tendency of many people, like yours truly, is to forget what $4.00 a gallon felt like, only to recall with delicious fondness how good it was to tromp on a 1969 Chevelle SS 396.

The Battleship New Jersey held 2.5 million gallons of fuel and got a whopping 13 feet per gallon. It held 7, 16"/50 caliber guns, which propelled 2,700 pound armor piercing shells 24 miles. Even WW3 might shudder if I brought that baby home.

It’s been around 1.77 to 1.79 here for several weeks.

Living out in the sticks and with a lot of miles accrued each year it’s nice to have gas at that price.
Not many years ago a trip to the pharmacy or the closest grocer meant 7-8 dollars worth of gas every time.

“The Battleship New Jersey held 2.5 million gallons of fuel and got a whopping 13 feet per gallon.”

The Liberty ships from WWII were comparative fuel sippers: ~250 feet per gallon
They used a 3-stage reciprocating steam engine.

$1.79, regular here, thing I don’t get 2 BP stations within 1 mile, I use mid grade, one BP $.90 per gallon more for mid grade, the other one . 30 for mid grade, $3.79 vs $3,22 or there abouts! Wish I could get past my superstions and buy regular, but after 40 years of thinking if I give my car a little better, it will do me better, a couple of failures after using regular a couple of times has ruined my rational perspective. One fillup towing a boat, mobil gas, significant decrease in performance, one failed fuel pump, sure coincidence, but stuff that works, not killed by an extra 5 bucks at fillup!

When gas was nearly $4 a gallon a couple of years ago, never in my dreams did I ever think I was going to someday pay below $2 a gallon again.

In San Francisco prices are still sky high. There is limited refining capacity for the special California formulation. That and high overhead keep prices here consistently high.

Yes, but could a Liberty Ship do 33 knots? It’d be fun to see a battleship (or aircraft carrier) pull about 1,000 waterskiers.

Well, knowing Americans (and I am one); I’ll bet that if gas prices stay at this level for any length of time my countrymen (countrypersons?) will go back to their gas guzzling behemoths. GM will discontinue the Volt and bring back the Hummer, and so forth, the electric cars like the Leaf will disappear. Then, in 3 or 4 years, when gas inevitably goes back up to $4+ a gallon again, it will be all over the news how we were blindsided by this, ,how could anyone have seen this coming, yada yada yada.

You can actually still take a cruise on a Liberty Ship. The John W. Brown sails out of Baltimore 3 or 4 times a year for a day trip on the Chesapeake Bay. It’s not cheap, cause it serves as a fundraiser for the group that keeps the ship afloat, but its a fun day. You can tour the engine room and watch the reciprocating engines in operation. They also have WWII vintage airplanes fly overhead during the voyage, weather permitting.( Oh yeah, and they feed you really well too!) I’m told there’s another Liberty Ship that sails on the west coast, out of San Francisco I think, but I forget the name of it. They’re supposed to be the only two Liberty Ships still in seaworthy condition.

I think the Liberty Ships topped out at about 12 or 14 knots. I saw on Mythbusters where they had a 1000+ foot long cruise ship pull one of them on waterskis, I forget which one.

Heard once the QE2 ocean liner gets 18 gallons of diesel to a mile.

When you start talking about mass-transit vehicles it’s more accurate to measure them in passenger-miles-per-gallon. The 747 gets abysmal mileage until you realize that it’s carrying 450 people to the same place. Then it works out to where you’d need 450 cars that got better than 50mpg in order to beat the airplane.

Admittedly cruise ships are a bit of a different story since they basically just sail around in circles, but a lot of 747 trips are taken on circular vacations/business trips too.

Did someone mention food? I’m in baby! Ed, I believe twas you. Food! Let’s boogie.

"Well, knowing Americans (and I am one); I’ll bet that if gas prices stay at this level for any length of time my countrymen (countrypersons?) will go back to their gas guzzling behemoths. "

Gas prices could stay low for a while

“But the demand side of the equation is also pointing to signs of adjustment. Lower prices have spurred much stronger demand for refined products. Car sales for the month of August hit their highest levels on an annualized basis since 2005. And consumers are preferring heavier-duty vehicles, which burn more fuel. Truck sales are up 8.6% from the same month a year ago. In June, U.S. motorists drove the most miles ever recorded in a single month, and gasoline consumption spiked by 4% from June 2014.”

So, yes, Ameicans, it would seem, do indeed have short memories.