Hijack this car thread

"why oh why is the Camry's spare tire positioned in the trunk such it only fits with the side down that has the valve stem?"

I’ve had the same question regarding other makes of cars, so clearly this design enigma isn’t limited to Toyota.

Why?
So that the mfr can save 1/2 cent per car by using a shorter bolt to secure the tire to the trunk floor?
Other than that, I can’t think of any other reason.

Thanks for bringing it up, @Marnet. It reminded me to check my spare…25 psi (oops). I pumped it up to 65 psi. (I do carry a 12V compressor in the car.)

;-]

The small air compressor I bought last year that runs on either 12V or 120V depending on choice is one of the best convenience small appliances I have ever bought. Wish I had gotten it years earlier.

I just gave my old one to my daughter, good for bike tires, bad for blowup rafts or real car tires.

My own TPMS light illuminated today. I pulled into a gas station and paid my dollar to use their public pump. My RF was down to 27psi (I run the fronts at 32). The others were perfect, which makes me suspect a slow leak. That seemed to solve the problem, so I guess I’ll have to keep an eyeball on it until I can jack it up, spin it, and see if I picked up a nail. Fortunately, I don’t drive much anymore, and I have a compressor in my garage and a couple of good bourdon tube pressure gages, one in my car and one in my garage.

I pulled into a gas station and paid my dollar to use their public pum

If you live near a Hess…they have FREE air pumps. Not too sure what will happen now that the Hess stations are in the process of switching over to Marathon. Not too sure if Marathon will keep that nice perk.

Holiday Stations (Up North In Fishing/Hunting Rural Destinations) Also Always Offer FREE Air To Customers. I Have One In My Nearest Town Only 20 Miles From Me.

Good coffee, too.
CSA

Thanks Mike, but I prefer to bring the tires up to spec as soon as an opportunity presents itself. It’s worth the buck to me. I’ve been meaning to check my tire pressures anyway, and if I’d taken the moment to do so before leaving home I could have just used my compressor. The other three tires were dead-on, as usual, so I must have picked up a nail.

My WAG is that Marathon will put in the pay pumps.

Here in SE Wisconsin, I have not seen too many places that charge for air. At least not in the little towns around me. I do know which ones I prefer though that actually have a real compressor inside the building and not one of those little air pump designs. Push the button and hold the hose on there until you either get a year older, or you finally get the tire to pressure.

I’m sure there are some pay for air stations, I just don’t notice them.
They just charge you because they have that “Summer Blend” and that cost’s money.

Yosemite

Thanks Mike, but I prefer to bring the tires up to spec as soon as an opportunity presents itself. It's worth the buck to me.

The closest station to me is a Hess. Plus I have their gas card and buy all my gas there. Vehicles run good…one of the cheaper stations around and when I use my Hess card I get 3% off each time I buy gas from them.

Not too sure what Marathon will offer. Hess is now owned by Marathon, yet my Hess card is still giving my discount. Maybe when they change the name at the stores will it go away.

I was 10 miles from home when the light went on anyway.

Yosemite has a point… perhaps the station I stopped at had already switched over to their “summer air”. Based on the icy mess I just scraped off of my driveway, they were early…

@VDCdriver, my toyota avalon has the same spare configuration. yeccchhh

Suppose anyone would do this as a fix for my car is running hot?

Is that a Mustang 2 . . . the one that was very similar to the Pinto . . . ?!

:anguished:

Looks like one to me.

Nice Ride! And A Dog Driver!

That car needs one of those room air-conditioners mounted in the side window and a gasoline powered generator on the trunk lid. Best of show.

CSA

Your car has a bad cat!

That cat’s name must be Carbon…

That’s a funny looking license plate . . . british?

My 2 cats are too big and wouldn’t fit

Hmm I was thinking the cat’s name might be toast, but carbon works!