Help!

I have a 2001 Ford Escape, manual, 4cylinder SUV…The idle has always been a little off and tends to reve when in neutral. But now, it kills itself when I downshift or come to a stop. It doesn’t always do this, but pretty often now. does anyone have any suggestions???thanks…MagnificentIdler

How about some history. How many miles on the car, any prior history of repairs? Has anyone checked to see if there are any error codes stored in the computer? You can have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Use an MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaner, and an intake cleaner on the idle air control valve, and in the throttle valve body.

Ford Escapes are notorious for blown Idle Air Control valves. These are unbelievably easy to change; if you can do an air cleaner, you can do an IAC Valve on an Escape.

Mine was better after I changed mine, but it still needed to have its throttle-body cleaned. These are both dead-simple tasks.

Good luck.

I had the same problem with the idle air control valve. A can of throttle body cleaner fixed it. Never had to replace it.