2002 Ford Escape shutdown at idle

Hey guys,

My wife and I have a 2002 Ford Escape 3.0L that keeps shutting off at idle. We’ve tried replacing the injectors, air filter, etc., with no results. I know this is a common prolem with Escapes but I can’t find a solution. Any ideas?

The next time the engine wants to stall, try stepping slightly on the accelerator. If this prevents the engine from stalling, there’s probably a problem with the Idle Air Control circuit.

Tester

I had this problem too, and cleaning the throttle body fixed it. I did that after I changed the IAC valve, which was probably something it did not need, unfortunately. Nevertheless, I think IAC may be a valid answer, because it’s a common problem with this vehicle.

One thing to look for with the IAC is that it’s on a newer revision, which means you probably have to reflash your ECU when you go to the newer IAC (there’s a sticker on the box with this same warning). Other than the dealer, I don’t know who would do that. Changing the IAC on these cars is literally easier than changing an air filter. It’s right on top. You can’t miss it.