HELP! My car don't seem to be getting any gas

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Classic and it just started giving me problems. I just replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pump, serpentine belt, 02 sensors, (upstream and downstream) battery, air filter, and the fuel pressure regulator. Now, it seems like it’s not getting any gas. It will crank up, but then it shuts off within seconds of being crunk up. When it’s shutting off, it feels like the whole car is falling apart. Could it be the fuel filter or a stopped up gas line?

Could be. Take the intake off and have someone crank the engine while shooting starter fluid into the throttlebody. Does the engine run while it’s getting starter fluid? Then you have a fuel delivery problem.

I believe the fuel pump is in-tank on your vehicle, and if I recall GM was not nice enough to give you an access panel in the trunk for it so you had to drop the tank to replace it. Sometimes when re-installing a tank, lines get pinched which can create stalling problems, so I might look there if I determined for sure that it was fuel delivery.

@jennifercarswell82

Hi,
could you please give a little background information?[quote=“jennifercarswell82, post:1, topic:102736”]
I just replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pump, … fuel pressure regulator.
[/quote]

Why were these items replaced? Was there a problem? What?
CSA

Yes the fuel pump is in the tank and you ha e to jack the car up to get to it. I have replaced the fuel pump twice since I had the car but never replaced the fuel filter. I guess by being a woman, I didn’t know anything about a fuel filter. I don’t know if that’s the problem or if it’s a blockage in the fuel line itself.

Hello! The check engine light kept coming on and going off so when I caught it on, I took it to Auto Zone to put the diagnostic thing on it, that was the codes it gave. The serpentine belt, I seen was cracked so I had it changed. Which made the car stop jerking when I put it in drive or reverse.(I thought it was the motor mount). But even after replacing all of that, it still act like it’s not getting any gas. By me being a woman, I didn’t know anything about a fuel filter. So I will be getting that done today. I don’t know if that’s the problem or if it’s something to do with the gas lines itself.

Back in the '80’s I had the same experience with a Ford…went through three fuel pumps before realizing it was the filter all along. And I’m a guy…live and learn.

;-]

“I took it to Autozone and that was the code it had”- What was the code it had? It should be in the form of P followed by 4 digits.

You’re having someone do this work for you or are you doing this yourself? You’re not very clear on this. If you are taking it to a mechanic, why isn’t the mechanic figuring out what is wrong instead of just replacing parts?

As an aside, I have no idea what being a woman has to do with not knowing about a fuel filter. I know several women who can swap an engine by themselves in one night, and then go racing. There’s nothing about being female that precludes you from being good at working on cars - just get the shop manual for the car and it will tell you everything you need to know.

If the fuel filter is restricted to the point that the engine won’t start and run you would have noticed the problem the last time you drove the car. It takes much more fuel to accelerate and drive than it does to idle, the car wouldn’t be able to reach normal speeds.

If you replaced the fuel pump yourself it is understandable that you were unaware that the fuel filter should be replaced. If a repair shop replaced your fuel pump they may have also replaced the filter, these are generally replaced at the same time, check your invoices.

It would be best to pay for a diagnoses rather than asking for a list a parts to be replaced.