Help me decide - Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5?

Mazda CX-5 of course. Let me know how it is working out. Looking at buying a CX-5 for myself

1 Like

Just focussing on the flatter boxer-style engine and the design of the vehicle so that in the event of a crash the engine will go under the passenger compartment. As a company, I think Subaru puts more emphasis on crashworthiness, than does Mazda. A bit like Saab used to.

As for servicing costs, I would happily provide you with the link to the review I watched but its in french. It reflects experience in the Quebec market, and the opinion of the reviewer that Mazda real maintenance costs are a fair bit higher than what they claim. I have no doubt this can be the case for Subarus as well. I am of the school that less upfront maintenance in the early years tends to cost you in the later years. As for replacing two vs four tires, well there are some specific situations that may lead you to want to do this ( mainly involving bad luck), again I think its better to rotate and replace with 4 new matching ones when the time comes to replace.
I do share the preference for a geared transmission for long term reliability even if it means a slight gas mileage penalty. In my case, I am rocking the Subaru 4EAT in my 2011 Forester, rather than getting a newer one with a CVT.
With regard to AWD my attitude is that its not really necessary, but there are times its really nice to have. While the poster in Texas may not use it as much as I do during the winter season in Canada, there will be the odd time it will be useful. Its a luxury rather than needed, but if you get it, there is benefit there.

1 Like

I agree that folks should look at many factors when comparing and shopping vehicles. However, no offense, but I think youā€™re over-thinking this.

Most modern vehicles sold currently are safe, some possibly a little more than others, and reliability is pretty good, too. If history demonstrates that 2 vehicles being compared are relatively close in safety and cost/frequency of maintenance and reliability is decent then itā€™s a choice of taste and how a car feels to a buyer.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

2 Likes

And why do you feel that way . . . ?!

I second that, @db4690, but I thought we would just let it slide under the rug, as the argument is clearly missing any logical support.

3 Likes

Second it all you want, and then you can go buy a Fiat. Let us ponder the marketing of both companies over the past 20 years, one emphasizes speed, handling, and a touch of so called refinement, the other safety and fun with dogs. I will let you guess which is which.

Key word: marketing

Besides, whether a marketing gimmick or not, just talking about dogs in cars would turn me off. I donā€™t do dogs. Also, ads are nearly invisible to me. I donā€™t buy anything according to marketing gimmickry.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

I donā€™t either, but those Subie dog commercials are downright funny. Bud Light commercials are fun too, and I donā€™t buy their product either.

Theyā€™re certainy better than the Mazda commercials where kid said ā€œzoom zoomā€ . . . I always thought those were annoying

Is the ā€œzoom-zoomā€ a remnant of Mazdaā€™s ads for their rotary Wankel engines of the 1970s?

No, Mazdas tend to be more fun to drive than other vehicles in their segments.

That plays absolutely no role for me

1 Like

If you insist. @shanonia asked what zoom-zoom meant, and I answered.

Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t get your drift . . . does anybody still use that expression?

I donā€™t know and does it matter? Shanonia asked a question, and I told him what Mazdaā€™s advertising claim meant.

1 Like

This the internet

People constantly make comments that you werenā€™t expecting . . .

Does any one know if the Mazda CX-5 has blind spot alerting.? Years 2017 - 2019ā€¦ I am definitely leaning toward buying one used. I think the car is very attreactiveā€¦ and I donā€™t see alot of the in my neck of the woods, which is a plus, seems everyone around these parts drive the same 5-6 models of car/suv, ā€¦and Iā€™d like to stand out a little.

Here too. Thatā€™s why I want to go old school and drive a 1990ā€™s car. A true classic never gets old, and never fails to turn heads. Everything sold today looks so similar, you could literally take the brand logos off, and no one would know what it is, or where it came from.

1 Like

Might depend on the trim level but even the 2016ā€™s had it on some models.

1 Like

Absolutely to many problems with Subaru

1 Like