Heater fan resistor

go buy a resistor that way you will know what you are looking for.

they have one or two plugs which clip into them. once you have a new one, look for that on the duct work of the heater.

they are held in by two or three screws. usually two.

My friend went to O’reilly’s to buy a resistor and they told him it was a dealer item. I can’t believe that. Anyway the dealer was closed at the time. There doesn’t seem to be any duct work under the hood. We’re kinda waiting for a warmer day to tear out the glove box.

this is what you are looking for.

go to rockauto.com use the big red button to go to the online catalog. enter the pertainent info, and drill down to heat and ac, then go to the blower resistor. it costs around 14 bucks.

Yeah, that’s it but I just can’t find it. I will take the glove box out and go from there. Thanks everyone!!

You guys are probably right in most cases but, I have a van that has had the blower motor replaced once and needs it again, but the resistor has never gone out.

There is a fix for E-36 (3-series) AC/Heater control heads (display goes blank) that involves replacing a 50 cent capacitor,maybe that is what he is talking about.BMW calls their blower resistors “Final Stage’s” most are very complicated one is nicknamed the “sword” (eary 6 and 7 series) it looks like a 12 inch sword,costs hundreds.

Well, my friend took it to a shop and they fixed it. $8 for the resistor and $67 labor. AND he never asked where it was located!!! I’m sure I could have found it but he never came back to me since the weather was cold and my garage is full of JUNK. Thanks to all who responded.

Clean Out The Garage. Put your Long Johns On.

I’m still betting your friend will be calling on you. These Chrysler resistors usually don’t “wear out”. Unless something temporarily restricted the fan, that resistor probably won’t last long.

Exactly. Many times they’re trying to cure the symptom rather than the disease.

Well, we’ll see. I have a 96 Dodge van 2500 and have replaced the fan once and it is not good now, but I haven’t replaced the resistor, YET!! (120k miles). Anyway we KNOW the resistor was bad.
Thanks everyone.