Hamster in the car

Put a hamster wheel in the car. Once the hamster finds the wheel, figure a way to rig it in the same place so the hamster can get to it but not get out of the box/cage. We used a ramp with an angled trash can…

A Mom

PLEASE CALL THE HAMSTER GUY BACK, YOU HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER
HE DID NOT HEAR YOU SAY HAVE A HEART TRAP
HE REPEATED KILL TRAP
ONE SAVES THE OTHER KILLS
AND REMIND PEOPLE OF HAVE A HEART TRAPS
TOO MANY FOLKS DO NOT SEEM TO KNOW ABOUT THEM
OF COURSE IT WILL SAVE THE POOR LITTLE ANIMAL
THE HAMSTER IS HUNGRY!!!
FOR A TEACHER THEY NEED TO DO MORE RESEARCH ON HOW TO SAVE
ANIMALS NOT KILL THEM!!!

Ever See What Animals Do To Each Other ?

Anyhow, I’ve not seen one in years, but there are hamster snare traps available that will snare a hamster’s rear foot and quickly hoist them above the ground where they will dangle until they can safely be lowered.

CSA

PUT PEANUT BUTTER INSIDE THE TRAP!!! Peanut butter is irresistable to all rodents, and if it’s inside the trap, he will definitely go inside. Also, there are live catch mouse traps, so if your Have-A-Heart doesn’t capture this guy, purchase one of these live-catch traps ASAP. Please let me know if this works :o)

If The Snare Trap Doesn’t Work Then Try Rat Poison, But Keep In Mind That If You Are Planning On Eating The Hamster Then The Poison Should Not Be Used !

CSA

Zero Odor 800-526-2967 0r ZeroOdor.com worked for us. When we did looked at the house we wanted to buy, there were cented candles burning. We thought it was the influence of a Martha show. When we got possession, ther odor of pet waste permeated the house. We immediately put dishes of white vinegar, and mopped with vinegar and warm water on the carpets. Then we found Zero Odor and we are free at last. I promise, it really works.

And peanut butter [far into the trap] away from the entrance works to entice.

I concur with the poster that said “peanut butter” in “live trap”. It works so well. Worked most of my youth in my family’s pet store and can vouch for this method. Saved a lot of our investment in livestock with this trick!
Don’t put any other edibles anywhere in the car!

Years ago (like 40) I had pet hamsters and they occasionally got out. I was ALWAYS able to capture them by putting food in a trash can with smooth sides and propping a board on it with a tiny bit of food leading up to the edge of the can. The hamster was always in the can in the morning. Any container will do so long as it is deep enough and smooth enough inside. Also the hamster needs to be able to reach the rim and drop in.

Try using “Anti Icky Poo” to get rid of the smell. It is a REAL product that works great! It even removes (not covers up) REMOVES male cat urine odor! You can get it online for about $40 per gallon.

If you get a few more hamsters and wheels, maybe you can rig them up to run the car, if it’s, maybe, a Yugo or an old Beetle. Probably would increase the power a tad as well.

Trombenik–How many hamsters and wheels would you have to have to do what you suggest and how would you arrange them?

Would you have 4 hamsters and wheels inline, 6 hamsters and wheels inline, a V shaped arrangement with 3 hamsters and wheels on each side making a total of 6, or should this be a V arrangement of 4 hamsters and wheels on each side for more get up and go?

I could also imagine an arrangement of 8 hamsters and wheels inline on a Yugo, but I think you would have to put a bust of Chief Pontiac on the hood.

I’d Definitely Consider 4 Horizontally-Opposed, Air-Cooled Hamsters For The Old Beetle And I’d Find The Biggest Bruisers Available !

By the way, did you know where the hamster gets its name ? Many people mistakenly think hamsters taste “just like chicken,” but they don’t. They taste just like ham of course.

CSA

taking the rec. cans for cash I had a mouse jump out of a bag into my car. The Movie mousetrap would describe my ordeal somewhat. I came to my senses and got a small trash can, rubbed a little oil (yes I had some olive oil on me - I had come from the store) about 3" from the bottom to almost the top of the can. I put the can under my steering wheel with a little peanut butter on the very bottom and left it. I returned about an hour later and removed a worn out mouse to a new locale. Even in his/her state it almost was able to jump out of the can. I wished I could have been able to call today.

The mistake these people are making is they are placing food leading up to the humane trap. The food should only be placed in the trap on the panel that will trip the trap door. The hamster will not go into the trap to eat if it has food outside the trap.

I believe this would be an excellent opportunity for the family cat.

I believe Tom and Ray suggested cheese to lure the hamster out. This probably won’t work for two reasons. First most cheese just doesn’t smell strong enough to get the hamster’s attention. You need something that will make the little rodent hungry right now, like the smell from a bag of microwave popcorn. Second, hamsters can hibernate and you need to get this done before it makes a nest for the winter and takes a looong nap. With the obvious jokes available that relate to cutting the cheese and sleeping Tom and Ray should have some fun with this, but seriously, a bag of microwave popcorn works better than cheese, peanut butter or anything else I see mentioned. I learned this back in college when the pets we weren’t supposed to have escaped their cages.