Had valve stem replaced on my Prius, now the TPMS light is on?

While we suspect that, we don’t know for sure until we see a picture of the actual valve stem the shop installed on iag360_141684’s vehicle.

@iag360_141684
Can you provide a picture of your new valve stem with the cap off?
That will help clear up some of the confusion.

Thank you.

1 Like

I’m presuming this story is what I’m recalling about tpms (supposedly) needed to improve America’s mpg.

Obama’s Call for Tire Inflation to Beat Gas Crunch

or they’re just crooks and this is their standard operating procedure.

1 Like

Lots of crooks out there.

About ten years ago my neighbor asked me to check for the reason why the low pressure warning light was on in his car. I opened the trunk, found an old tire completely deflated, full size spare was on the car. He shouted, “they were supposed to fix that!” I asked to see the receipt, he said he didn’t have one.

I took the tire to work and patched the puncture. I checked the service history on the computer, he had taken the car to a dealer which he had been going to for free car washes, the invoice read “right rear tire leaking, install spare tire per customer request”, no charge.

I think he didn’t want to pay $25 to patch the tire and two weeks later can’t remember the flat tire in the trunk. I don’t put much credence in stories being told.

2 Likes

@JoeMario

This is the one they installed

This one is what my other 3 look like

Thanks @iag360_141684:
To me, that looks like a valid stem designed to connect to your existing TPMS sensor.

For example, here’s the Dorman stem that fits your car and has the same metal collar at the top of the rubber:

The valve stems on one of our cars look just like plain stems but they are connected to a tire pressure sensor.

Stop messing around and have a shop verify if you have a monitor in that tire and if not have one installed . I would also avoid Conrads from now on.

So they need to reprogram my sensor? @JoeMario

Without looking at the registration numbers in the monitor data, it is not possible to tell if the new sensor has been registered.

Some aftermarket sensors are incompatible with Toyota tire pressure monitors. Return to the shop and tell them the new sensor is not working, they can replace it with a better sensor.