Corroded tire valves

$200 to replace the tire valve. I am wondering what would happen if I sprayed liquid wrench or WD40 into the valve? I don’t want to end up with some component disintegrating from the solvent.

If the TPMS sensors use aluminum valve stems, and the stems are corroded, there’s a very good chance of stripping the threads on the valve stem or snapping the valve stem off when trying to remove the cap.

The son just when thru this at work with a vehicle. All but one of the valve stems either stripped the threads or the valve stem broke off when attempting to remove the caps. The owner of the vehicle ended up replacing all four TPMS sensors with sensors that have rubber valve stems.

Tester

I’m not sure what the question is. You want to replace your tire pressure sensor? Are you trying repair a leak?

There’s no information in this post at all. What exactly are we supposed to be guessing about???
What was the problem???

Question "I am wondering what would happen if I sprayed liquid wrench or WD40 into the valve?"
Nothing good long term or short if it’s a solvent… Don’t spray wd40 or other solvent around rubber or plastic.
If it’s a silicone based spray. What the heck. It probably won’t help but it shouldn’t hurt anything more.
As a last resort, I might look into something for electronics cleaner which says it might be safe for rubber or plastics…I doubt there is ???

Sorry if the question did not illuminate. I think the valve may be leaking and I think that something like WD40 might break up the corrosion and allow the valve to properly seal. The car is a 2006 Prius. I don’t know what kind of material was used in fabricating the sensor valve.

To find out if the valve is leaking, spray some soapy water on the valve. If bubbles form the valve is leaking.

Tester

I will check for leaks, thanks.

As mentioned above by @Dogosa, best not to spray rubber and plastic parts with solvents. It could weaken the structure. Next time you fill up the tires the valve stem might break off. If you are late for an appointment, not a good thing.

I’m really, really puzzled by this thread.
Exactly why are you going to try getting your valve to seal with solvents rather than replacing the valve? What’s going on here that is preventing you from simply fixing the problem properly?

I suspect OP doesn’t want to spend any money to replace those TPMS sensors

Here’s what the valve stem and the TPMS sensor look like.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3948663&cc=1431023

As you can see, the valve/TPSM sensor are sealed to the wheel by a nut at the base of the stem. When the stem starts leaking at the wheel, people will try to tighten the nut at the base of the stem. Corrosion on these aluminum parts can result in either stripping the threads at the base of the stem, or snapping off the valve stem. It’s just aluminum.

Tester.

Agreed, but this is not a major expense, and it isn’t one of those jobs that can suddenly grow in cost. Granted, they don’t give the sensors away, but it’s not like the engine is shot. Just change them and move on. That’s my recommendation.

Just an FYI.

The parts of a tire valve that seal out the air are made of rubber and plastic. They do not corrode. They might be distorted or damaged or become cracked, and oil is not going to fix that.

It the valve is leaking, replace it.