Had valve stem replaced on my Prius, now the TPMS light is on?

Just because it appears to be just a valve stem does not mean it is . Stop making things difficult . You may need all new Tire pressure monitors as they only last 8 to 10 years . Also if you buy a monitor and have them install and it is not compatible then you will just waste money.

Please post a picture . . . with the cap OFF, please . . . and we should be able to recognize what it is

fyi . . . some tpms valve stems look like a regular valve stem at first glance

That procedure only tells already paired, working sensors what the benchmark tire pressure should be. It does not make the TPMS computer recognize a new sensor.

I Googled Conrad’s. This is what they advertise:

STANDARD TIRE

INSTALLATION PACKAGE

• Tire Mounting
  • Wheel Balancing
  • New Rubber Valve Stem
  • Old Tire Disposal
  • Lifetime Rotations & Re-balancing
  • Lifetime Flat Repairs
  • Reset Tire Pressure Monitoring System
  • Lifetime Wheel Alignment Inspections
  • Pro-Rated Tire Replacement Road Hazard Protection

How you can get of the above without a receipt…

probably because they did not charge him the second time to replace the valve stem.

Unclear if the no receipt is for the valve stem replacement or for the set of tires.
Original receipt would show if all sensors were replaced. OP has not answered that question.

2 Likes

This is what my 3 stems look like

dfba64c6a234f273b84f73d6ea3e259f.0

And this is what my new stem looks like. That why I told Volvo that I’d find the culprit first… because it seems the warranty with Conrad’s just includes a regular Valve stem and not a whole TPMS sensor. So I’m glad I did the research first. It appears they installed a regular Valve stem so I guess now I have to find a Normal tpms for my car and have that installed
@Purebred

I have seen this a number of times, a customer has new tires and one or more missing tire pressure sensors.

They repaired the leak but disabled the tire pressure monitor, seems odd they would do this without your consent. The shop should have given you an estimate to replace the leaking sensor.

I predicted it :wink:

My advice would be to let the tire store you decide to use, also supply their preferred TPMS sensor. That way, they will stand behind it if it fails prematurely. Otherwise the onus is on you and if it does fail, you’ll spend all the savings and more on a better one and the labor to install it.

I wouldn’t go back to this store. They did a disservice if they did not explicitly explain to you what they were doing and why. They should have offered to do the job correctly and charge accordingly. Putting in a simple stem for free wasn’t a good deal in the end…

1 Like

If non-compliant valve stem was used, that might conceivably be a federal emissions violation. IIRC tire pressure monitoring was championed under the presumption it would improve mpg, and therefore lower emissions.

No way this is an emissions violation.

I think it was a “safety” requirement, not an emissions requirement. The gov’t trying to protect us from ourselves :rofl:

From what I can tell the smog testing folks don’t care if the tpms light is flashing. Smog test will pass irrespective of TPMS warning light. So it seems definitely plausible a purposely mis-configured tpms system wouldn’t be an emissions violation. I couldn’t find any info via Google that confirms this theory however. I’m quite certain a major reason cited for the introduction of the TPMS system was to improve mpg.

Here’s my receipt for the new tires I bought

Idk why they didn’t give me the opportunity to get a new tpms sensor instead of just a regular Valve stem. Not to mention as to why they acted dumb as to why my light was on after they installed it

Also Volv your insight and contentious attitude has been garbage since the 4 years I’ve been on this thread. I found the problem and didn’t need to take it to a shop to find it. Quit telling people to let other people handle something when people are capable of doing it themselves

1 Like

It says "new rubber valve stem (where applicable). It wasn’t applicable in your case. I would still take the car back to them to hear their explanation, if nothing else. Some aftermarket sensors do have rubber stems.

Some tpms valve stems look like this . . . which at first glance appear to be plain jane rubber valve stems

I clearly asked you to post a picture of YOUR valve stem . . . and with the cap off . . . and that’s not exactly what you did

3 Likes

My understanding TPMS came about after a series of Ford Explorer accidents with under inflated Firestone tires.

4 Likes

No, it was done in the wake of the Ford Explorer/Firestone tires disaster, in order to give drivers an early warning of low tire pressure.

Whoops!
Purebred beat me to it… hours ago.
:pensive:

1 Like

It is a poor tire shop that put a regular valve stem on a wheel when the vehicle has a TPMS system. Even worse when the customer complains about the TPMS not resetting and they can’t find the cause.

3 Likes