GPS question

You missed my point, pf you chose not tp have a cell phone, like me, a GPS is much cheaper than a “Free” cell phone app that would require not only a monthly cell phone bill but a costly smart phone as well.

Don’t tell me once I had a cell phone, I would never want to be without it, I had one for six years, I gave it away in 1995.

Does using GPS on a smartphone require a monthly fee?

Yes, the fee in question is for phone service, not the app.

Phone service (that you pay for) and GPS are independent. You can use GPS navigation without any phone service. In many cases you can get the app when connected via WIFI.
I’ve done this before, but don’t consider myself being an expert on all the latest changes in this field.

1 Like

Keep in mind that GPS readings can be inaccurate, especially if you’re surrounded by tall buildings. Don’t complain if you get a ticket because the speedometer reading was temporarily off or if your elapsed mileage jumps to some inaccurate value all of a sudden. In fact, you mentioned something about a job based on mileage, but it wouldn’t be a good idea to claim mileage based on a GPS system for legal reasons.

I also don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to take advantage of the many ways that a smartphone can make your life easier (especially getting live information from Waze in this particular context), but that’s your business, not mine.

Put me in the group that does not want a smart phone. I don’t want to send or receive text messages . I am not going to use one for banking . When I drive my flip phone is turned off and if I have a voice message there is a 90 % chance I will not respond .

1 Like

[quote=“VOLVO_V70, post:46, topic:163391, full:true”]
Put me in the group that does not want a smart phone. I don’t want to send or receive text messages

Agree the the only text message’s I use are when my Dr. send’s me an appointment conformation and I confirm it.

I want a smartphone so much that I have one. I want to send and receive text messages, and look forward to them. That’s how we communicate with our children. I get at least one picture or video each day of our grandson playing, eating, or doing something cute and goofy that 2 year olds do.

1 Like

Additionally, there are times when I want to research certain products via the internet prior to buying them, and it is nice to be able to do it anywhere, rather than having to return home to do that research on my computer, and then having to return to the stores to purchase the items.

1 Like

I usually carry my smartphone on a belt clip, I used to jump every time the thing started vibrating, now I get mystery vibrations, think the cellphone is going off and nothing there. Did not mind the old land lines when one did not have to ask where are you. I tried the google maps a few times, but it seemed so much more confusing than the GPS garmin, I ended up following the directions, back tracking and driving around in circles. Turned on the Garmin, google turn left, Garmin turn right, I do not mind paper maps but consider the GPS one of the greatest things since sliced bread.

Without doubt!

Aside from the communication aspects you pointed out, I would find it difficult to conduct my daily life without my smartphone. Today I used my banking app, paid one of my credit cards using the credit card app, ordered hand sanitizer using the Amazon app, and ordered dinner with the Doordash app! Plus I finished reading the Sunday New York Times and listened to some music.

1 Like

In IT and I trust very few things, Online banking and trading ok, it took me a while to get to that point, on my smartphone no way. I think this site is one of the few I have allowed on my smartphone. I did a facebook charity donation, expecting we need your credit card etc. automatically went through, I had never authorized it and found in settings I could delete the payment method. I must have used it once and it saved it. You can never be too cautious imhop.

and you can make it talk like Cookie Monster :smiley:
download

I too would have a hard time living without my cell phone, both for personal and work reasons.

+1
Those who think that a modern cell phone is somehow superfluous are reminiscent of the folks who retained gas lighting in their homes for… years… after electric power became widely available.

1 Like

Garmin is good, additional voices also, really wish they had Sean Connery as a voice.
Yoove missed your turn you bumbling idiot!

2 Likes

for TomTom, I had K.I.T.T from Knight Rider. :slight_smile: