GPS question

Do you know what model the magellan is? The only one’s I ever had was the garmin and tom tom.

It was a model sold only by AAA.

1 Like

I wish I could help yo, but I am more computer challenged than you and the only cell phone I ever had was about 10" long without the antenna and weighed a couple of pounds with the optional 6 hour battery pack. I needed it for the miserable trucking company that I worked for for 6 years that would not let me use the pager I had to get work calls. I gave that phone away the day I retired and have never found the need or want for one. If you want me, leave a message on my home phone and I will get back to you… if I want to.

O did buy a GPS last year, 58 bucks on Amazon. My son says it is a Garmin clone made in China. The brand is Aonerex. I found the manual incomprehensible with tiny print and muddy pics and about 2" x 31/2" in size.Finally I plugged it in and played with it until I could put a destination in and get directions. It claims to be a music and video player, game console and many other wonderful devices, but I don’t know or want to know how to do any of them. I don’t even want the radio on when I am driving.

I also don’t look at the screen while driving, all I want is the voice prompts. My eyes won’t focus that close and it is too far for my reading glasses that I could not use while driving anyway.

1 Like

I guess both of us are to old to want or need all the new techonagly the main reason I got a cell phone was when the pay phone’s started scarce and hard to find and like you if I don’t recognize a number leave a message and maybe I will get back to you it I want to. My daughter got me started with the GPS shortly after they came out they were living in Nevada at the time and came all the way to Georgia without looking at a roar map. I have not been without one since It came in handy while I was still working and as it showed the speed it worked great after my transmisson problem. I do listen to the radio while I drive but is a plain old fashion one that I know the control’s on so I don’t have to take my eye’s of the road while driving. Also I don’t wear glass’s and have no problem reading screen’ s but not in a car.

I found my notes on the product launch, it was a roadmate 3100, AAA Edition

1 Like

Thank you.

I only use my Garmin Nuvi once and awhile but I checked it tonight and i’m not sure if it displays on the main screen but mine has 2 trip odometers that can be called up through the menu. You can reset one or the other if you wish. Had to search a little but it’s there. I’ve had this for a few years now but it does the job for me.

I use the voice prompts more to be honest once i’ve set a route. The best place to put the garmin without using a mount is the cubby below the radio where there’s a 12V outlet anyways so i can just use a little rubber mat to keep the unit from sliding around.

. The best place to put the garmin without using a mount is the cubby below the radio where there’s a 12V outlet anyways so i can just use a little rubber mat to keep the unit from sliding around.
[/quote]

I have never had any luck putting it below dash level it would not pick up a signal I keep in the bottom left hand corner of the windshield that way I can check my speed with a quick glance.

I have never had a problem with the windshield suction mount.

We used the sand bag on the dash. We have navigation and garmen so on a trip the wife had the garmen going and I had the nav. So two people talking to me at the same time. Then she downloaded something on the phone-Wayz or something, so then we had three going. Since then she has given up the Garmen and just uses the phone. I like a paper map though too. Sorry I had nothing to add but I seldom get lost anymore. If it gets really bad I just hit the “go home” button.

Sure it would.
WAZE and the other apps clearly call-out the directions, with no need to look at the screen. Listening to the directions from WAZE is no different from listening to a person sitting next to you who is acting as your navigator.
:thinking:

I read something about the trip odometers only accumulating if you have a destination programmed. If you’re just tooling around, they don’t increase. Can you validate that with yours?

So little definitive info out there…seems you need a special device designed for this purpose. Of course it’s far cheaper and more versatile as a smartphone app but Renegade’s looking for a hardware solution. Some mileage trackers out there primarily for business use and some even have monthly service fees. Ugh.

Suggest you go to “Support” on the Garmin website. They should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Have to try it out for the commute since mine’s usually not in use unless there’s a destination I need to find.

It just worked for me with just the map showing, I can change by tapping on each display to show trip a or speed among others.

Thanks for checking I’m surprised they don’t tout this feature in the manual or sales literature. Good to know it works!

How can a smartphone app be cheaper than my GPS? The GPS has no monthly fee, a smartphone would have.

First of all, at the time it was unverified if a run of the mill gps unit would do mileage tracking outside of programmed trips. Secondly, having to buy a dedicated device or service just to track mileage (some with monthly fees as I noted) would be more expensive than a free cell phone app. And lastly, like it or not, you are anomolous in not already owning a smart phone, let alone any mobile device. Obviously it doesn’t apply to you.

WAZE is free to download, and there are no monthly fees.
Ergo, no charge whatsoever.
The same is true of Google Maps, but I find that app to be far less accurate than WAZE.

Right after I got my smartphone, I used Google Maps to direct me to a park in a town other than mine.
It sent me to the wrong town, and to a cemetery, rather than the park whose name I had input correctly. On another occasion, Google Maps directed me to cross RR tracks at a place where there was no rail crossing. That was the last time that I used Google Maps on my phone.

I have never had any errors with WAZE, other than perhaps being “off” by a block or two in regard to an address number.

My car, by definition, is a mobile device :grin: