Goof Off Taillight Residue

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a used 2014 Chrysler 300S that had smoked out taillights. The previous owner said that he had used VHT Nightshades to tint them and to get them off you needed to use Goof Off and Engine Degreaser to remove the Goof Off before it ate at the lens. The tint was coming off great when I was wiping it off with the Goof Off but when I got most of the tint off I noticed that the Goof Off was leaving behind foggy like residue on the light. When I finally got all of the nightshade off, the residue was still on the taillight. I noticed that the only way to remove this residue was to use more Goof Off but that in itself seem to create more. I was wondering what chemical could remove this residue, or what I should do about it.
Thanks

Chemicals might melt the plastic. First try Dawn dish soap, that is what they use to clean oil covered birds.

Having used Goof Off myself, I don’t think what is leaving the residue is the Goof Off. I think it’s left over adhesive that hasn’t come off yet. I would try using Goof Off again, and then I’d consider leaving it as clean as you can get it after rinsing the lights with water. Acetate cleaners like Goof Off usually evaporate on their own. Also, acetate might not be the best thing to use to remove residue and adhesive. You might try Goo-Gone or Undo.

Once the lights are clear of adhesive, I wouldn’t clean them again, I’d polish them using a compound you can buy at the auto parts store. I personally clean mine with window cleaner and then put Rain-X on them, but I can’t recommend that for your plastics, because not all plastics will behave the same way with Rain-X.

Even dihydrogen monoxide? Are you sure???

Even dish detergent has chemicals in it. Everything is a chemical.

Well this is interesting:
"Product description
VHT Nite-Shades™ is a transparent black tail light lens coating for creating a custom European styling. VHT Nite-Shades™ is a transparent black tail light lens coating [ ] Recommended for off road use only. Warning: Once applied to plastic lens, SP999 is not able to be satisfactorily removed."
https://www.amazon.com/VHT-Nite-shades-Quick-Clear-SP999-SP515/dp/B003TQGQ1O

And the above doesn’t seem to be referring to the ‘Quick Coat’ part of the kit.

1 Like

Try polishing off the coating with plastic polish designed for motorcycle windshields available at the auto parts store.

If that doesn’t get the job done, time for new lenses.

4 Likes

not bashing OP, but this is a trend that I cannot understand: blacking out your taillights. I get that it looks “cool,” but why in the world would you want to make it harder for people to know you are stopping in front of them???

:confused:

5 Likes

The OP bought the vehicle used and the previous owner blacked the tail lights and they should pay a detail shop to try and clean them.

Yup, I agree its time to start polishing. Power polishing with rubbing compound and then finish with the platix polish. If not, new lenses.

From their web site:
“Are Goof Off® Heavy Duty Removers safe on plastics?
Goof Off® Heavy Duty Removers are safe on most plastics. Always try the product in a small, inconspicuous test area first. It can damage acrylic and styrene plastics, which are typically clear, though some bathtubs, showers and windowsills are acrylic.”

So I bet some damage is occurring. Have you used the grease remover? You may need to polish the taillights, as mentioned above.

Thanks everyone,
Like you guys said the polish seemed to work and all of it is off.