Golf mk7 reverse gear problem

Used transmissions cost less than the parts needed to repair failed transmissions.
How long have you been repairing transmission?

1 Like

Since the OP doesn’t reside in The US, it definitely wouldn’t be a Pep Boys shop.

1 Like

That’s one constraint. But I expect they are trying to find a used transmission that’s in good shape too. They don’t want to install a used transmission, only to have you return to the shop the next month b/c while the replacement transmission’s reverse works ok, its 2nd gear in the forward direction doesn’t. They are looking a a used transmission from a car that was taken to the scrap yard for reasons that weren’t transmission related. Like maybe a repair shop forgot to replace the engine oil on an oil & filter job, and the engine was ruined, car with only 40k miles declared economically unrepairable & taken to recycler yard, disassembled for its parts For that sort of problem, the transmission should still be in good shape.

Strongly suggest OP doesn’t become involved in the transmission finding process. Let the folks at the shop doing the trans replacement work hold this responsibility.

I forgot to give the final result. It was fixed, and is almost one year after that, my car going strong.

2 Likes

What was done to fix it? Glad the fix is long lasting.