GM Ignition Recall Discussion

With almost 500 shows recorded after the first model year that GM had ignition switch problems, has anyone researched whether or not this problem was ever the subject of a call on Car Talk? Since I would assume that Lawlor interfaces with car companies from time to time, it might be evidentiary in any lawsuit as to when GM was made aware of ignition switch problems. It seems hard to believe that someone wouldn’t have called about this, with all the issues of losing power steering and braking.

It seems hard to believe that someone wouldn't have called about this, with all the issues of losing power steering and braking.

Not hard to believe at all. The odds of someone with the problem who actually listens to the show is probably low. And then there’s the screening process. And since the brothers retired 2 years ago…the chances are even lower.

I never heard such a call. But it’s hardly relevant. It’s already been established that GM knew the switch was sub-standard during pre-production testing in 2001.

We have already had a long discussion of the ignition switch recall here:

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2297193/gm-admits-internal-cover-up-of-fatal-ignition-switch-problem/p1

I still say: 29 million cars. And Tom & Rays’s retirement 2 years ago (almost exactly) figured into my 500-show estimate. Alas, since there aren’t searchable transcripts, we won’t know unless the powers that be take an interest.

Alan - this is a non issue. The ignition problem has been beat to death and even if you found it mentioned on one of the broadcasts it would not be relevant to any litigation. The show was mostly for entertainment anyway.