Gift suggestion

Hi, I’m sorry if I’m doing this wrong, I never use forums. My husband asked for a “creeper” for Christmas and I’m wondering what kind you folks like or recommend? He has a Fiesta ST if that matters. Plz help. Any and all other gift ideas welcome as well. Thank you.

This is a perfect case for using the only retailer that will be left someday . Amazon has lots of those listed and with the reviews and prices you really can’t go wrong .

1 Like

I prefer a creeper with a metal frame, I have broken several wood frame creepers.

4 Likes

Mine has the wheels placed in from the corners. This is not good because if you shift your weight to the edge of the creeper, it tilts and you tend to fall off. I’ve seen some with the wheels out away from the corners and this would be more stable.

2 Likes

I like the Bone Creeper. It’s so comfortable I could almost fall asleep on it. Unfortunately, it seems it’s out of stock pretty much everywhere.

My second favorite creeper is actually one of the cheaper ones, at least if you get it at Harbor Freight:

It’s also very comfortable and the wheels roll nicely. If there’s no Harbor Freight near you, the same creeper is sold under other brand names at other places like Amazon. Easy to recognize - they all look the same except for color and the brand name.

1 Like

I think he is a sweetie and you should get him a three-car garage with a hydraulic lift with a range of 48 inches minimum. After all, it’s Christmas!

1 Like

I put this gift request in the category of letting the person pick out the creeper himself . I have had gifts of tools that I could not return fast enough . Once I got one of those screw driver sets and I only use 4 of them , plus the worthless electric brad nailer that required a hammer to drive the brad the rest of the way in.

1 Like

So, is this your wife?

3 Likes

Go to NAPA/Autozone/Advance/O’Reily/Ace and see what they have. Be sure to ask for a receipt. He can always exchange it if necessary, much more easily than something bought on Amazon.

2 Likes

I think that you can also buy him an alcohol based spray too with that screeper

1 Like

Get a Whiteside creeper . . . that is the name of a manufacturer

I suggest one with an adjustable headrest

In my opinion, the metal frame Whiteside creepers seem to have a better dropdown “cutout” for the shoulders, versus the metal frame creepers available at the local auto parts stores

3 Likes

Someone logged on just to post that :astonished:

I can’t say I actually know what they mean or why I would buy that :grimacing: Truly came to ask you folks bc I just am very out of my element w car things but want my husband to be happy. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I have always used a flattened cardboard box when I need to work under a car. An actual creeper would reduce the clearance available for working, as well as the fact that I would be upset when oil gets spilled on it. The cardboard box doesn’t cost me anything, and it absorbs any spills which might occur (within reason, of course).

2 Likes

Clearance isn’t a big problem if you’re using jack stands and have them adjusted fairly high, I would think . . .

Kate’s husband asked for a creeper as a Christmas present

Should she NOT give him that creeper, because you said a creeper will reduce clearance?

The oil is easy to clean off of the creeper’s vinyl padding

3 Likes

If you put a few empty boxes under the tree, the spouse will have enough cardboard to last several months. A good creeper can last a lifetime. I sometimes use cardboard and I enjoy the choice of using a creeper or cardboard.

1 Like

Other than the good creeper suggestions I might make this suggestion since he’s going to be underneath a car.

Buy him a good (meaning not Harbor Freight as there is a story on that) jack stands with at least a 3 ton capacity and hopefully a good heavy duty floor jack if he does not have one already. His life depends upon it and when under a car both should be used along with wheel chocks. Always keep it redundant. You might be surprised at how many people each year get injured or crushed to death from falling cars. Three in my area alone including a long time friend who ended up deceased in a heartbeat.

Of course there’s Option B. Take out a million in life insurance and buy him some Harbor Freight jack stands on the way home… (Calm down, just chain yanking…) :grin:

4 Likes

There is a fabric creeper. Works on gravel and soft ground where a wheeled creeper binds up. Also doubles for sliding heavy things around.

"Jerome-Silverman
There is a fabric creeper. Works on gravel and soft ground where a wheeled creeper binds up. Also doubles for sliding heavy things around.

Where would you find one as I have never heard of it?

Just Google “fabric car creeper”.