Getting OEM parts from a local dealership, how long is the wait (typically.)

Most states got rid of their Sunday Blue laws. I grew up with them in NY. They were abolished in the 70’s. Moved to NH in early 80’s and there were still parts of Blue Laws left on the books. I think they’re all gone now.

Or a democratic majority decided Sundays off would be a good thing… for whatever reason… and voted in the majority to close businesses and restrict alcohol sales. Any number of restrictions are created that way.

Their reasons may be religous but the laws are not specifically so. Not much different than forcing bars to close at 2:30 am or whatever time your area requires. They do restrict freedom for someone as nearly any law will do.

I always found them silly… especially restricting alcohol sales on Sundays to after 1 pm. No mimosas or bloody marys at brunch! That makes no sense but it was Ohio’s law until I was an adult.

If the customers are willing, who cares when a car dealer is open?

You would be incorrect about the majority. PA has been Republican majority (or Republican equivalent ie Democratic-Republicans) for most of it’s existence. The cities themselves are liberal, but the way districts are gerrymandered congress is majority Republican.

I agree with that, though. Especially alcohol! Fortunately my county isn’t dry so alcohol is available on Sundays! Mechanics usually aren’t, but that doesn’t bother me since I usually DIY my repairs anyway. I do remember the dealership my wife bought her Escape from was open on New Years Eve and Day.

:fist_right: :crazy_face: :fist_left:
Ouch! Wow! Did somebody blind-side me?

:laughing: I’m back, now. :joy:

Feel the magic!

Getting OEM parts from a local dealership, how long is the wait (typically.)

Also, there are several huge new car dealers of, literally, every make/model one could think of, within a short distance. They are open regular convenient hours and are well stocked on parts.

And, I have ordered OEM parts (GM suspension components, spark plugs, wheel bearings, etcetera) from Rock Auto online, at amazingly low prices and without upgrading to additional shipping speed, I’ve received my complete orders in 2 days. They don’t disclose where all their warehouses are located, but they maintain a network and they have their act together, in my humble opinion! Plus, their website is superior! They rock! And they’ve never once complained about my “sharp tongue”. :wink: (Can I say that?)

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Removing Sunday Blues laws in NY was an extremely Republican effort. It was actually fought hard by the Democrats. The GOP reasoning behind it was - More sales, thus more profit.

Can’t say why they were repealed in other states.

There are still dry counties in this country.

List of dry communities by U.S. state - Wikipedia

MikeInNHThere are still dry counties in this country.

I can’t remember the name of the county off hand but the one in Tennessee where Jack Daniels whiskey is distilled is a dry county.

Blue laws can actually increase profits for businesses. It compresses shopping into 6 days, eliminating one day of staff and, to some extent, utility costs. But the model doesn’t work around the geographic edges if adjacent areas don’t have such laws.

Are the various malls in Paramus still closed on Sunday?

Small “d” not large “D”… Not party specific, democratic as in democratically decided by a majority of voters. Happens equally with both parties.

2 Likes

Watch out! Can you guys be talking like that? :grimacing: I got slapped around for less, just saying…

Don’t worry, though, ole CSA will never flag anybody except scammers. I am not cut from that cloth! Although I may not agree with what you have to say, I will defend to death your right to say it. :us: (Is this symbol still okay with everybody?)
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Moore County

1 Like

Thank you my rememberer keeps getting worse and my forgeterer keeps getting better.

3 Likes

Yup!
That is why–supposedly–most Bergen County residents like the Blue Laws.
On any given day, the traffic in Paramus–especially near the intersection of Routes 4 & 17-- is horrendous, but on Sundays it is slightly less horrendous due to the closure of the malls.

Napa here is the same relative limited hours, Autozone’s still open until 9 or 10pm

Exactly. Like I tried to say, at least from the 60’s, it’s the businesses that don’t want it and fight any attempt to change by the Legislature. It’s had nothing to do with the party in power. As a kid the only thing open was a restaurant, gas station, and bait shop. So you could eat after church and then go fishing. I can’t say how it started way back, but I know why it hasn’t ended.

Gotcha…in that case, I can guarantee that many of PA’s early long surviving laws (even pre-United States) were likely religious based. William Penn offered religious freedom to all to attract settlers from Europe long before the 1st amendment was written.

Now that said (to get back on topic), I’m incredibly lucky that the town that I’m in has one of the two best stocked Ford Parts Departments if I need something OEM (which I wish I would’ve gotten that stupid water outlet from them instead of Autozone when it went bad the first time a few years ago in my old Focus…). If they don’t have it, there’s a bigger Ford dealership a few towns over that pretty much has everything or can get it quickly. They’re the kind of place that if they don’t have it or can’t get it, you won’t find out. We incidentally purchased a 2014 Escape for my wife in January this year from that same dealership. The salesman actually came in on January 1st to let her test drive it while we were looking at a few different cars.

1 Like

@common-sense-answer, I do agree that when you do talk about cars, you’re helpful and knowledgeable, particularly with your knowledge of maintaining your American makes. You generally do approach people’s car problem posts with friendliness. But I’ve asked that you not do this particular brand of covid provocation and I must make good on what I promised last week. I welcome you back if you can refrain from such comments in the future.

4 Likes

Yup…Been there. Even did a factory Tour of Jack Daniels.

1 Like

There are a lot of people that only have Sundays as a day off.

That’s why it’s called Penn-sylvania. I was driving through the mountains of PA in the rain and my insurance agent called to see if I could make class. I said sorry I have to hang up and drive, I don’t want to have an accident. State Farm. Don’t call me, I’ll call you when it’s safe.