Gas

do anyone know what the aveage cost of a gallon of gas cost,in 1968.

I paid about 31.9 to 34.9, in Springfield, MO.

Here’s a handy chart that includes the inflation-adjusted prices:

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Oil/Gasoline_inflation_chart.htm

It’s kind of crazy that back in 1998, when I can remember paying about a buck a gallon, it works out to being $1.40-ish in 2008 dollars.

I paid about that much in TX but I was only making $1.60/hour in a part time after school job. Breaking my five dollar bill to fill my car really hurt.

I believe that the typical price per gallon in NJ at that time was 29.9 cents.

In Pasadena, California, the best price I could find in 1970 was 25 to 30 cents per gallon. In those days, gas prices varied by season, typically spiking just before major holidays, but were stable over many months. Therefore, I suspect the 1968 price wasn’t much different.

In 1964 you could buy a gallon of gas for a quarter, which was made from silver…

That same silver quarter will still buy a gallon of gas today…

Wow! From the chart that GreasyJack got from www.bls.gov (Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor), it shows that gasoline was under $0.80 a gallon for 60 YEARS! Those were the good ole days!

You can get an inflation calculator at www.bls.gov, menu item CPI-Inflation Calculator. Example: $10 in 1988 had the buying power of today’s $18.31. (That’s 90% inflation for a decade.)