Gas Tank

I have a 2004 Chrysler Town and Country. When I fill it with gas the pump shuts off after I put in about 1/2 a gallon. It acts as if the gas tank is full. It keeps shutting off after only 1/4 to 1/2 gallon is put in the tank. Thus it takes 10 to 15 minutes to fill the tank. I have used different gas pumps, different positions of the nozzle and different stations. The van runs fine. What is the problem and how can it be fixed. This has been going on for about 4 months.

Your van probably has an Onboard Vapor Recovery System. While the gas tank is being filled the air/vapor in the tank exits through the OVRS so the vapors are collected to be burnt later when the engine is running. If gasoline has back flowed in the canister; the exhaust valve is stuck closed; or the exhaust tube is clogged, the pressure in the tank will build up until the fuel climbs up the filler pipe and shuts off the station pump nozzle. There have been reports that spiders sometimes clog up the exhaust tube.

Also, as Joeseph E Meehan mentions, there is the antirollover fuel loss valve in the filler tube that could be stuck closed. There should be a tank full vent shut off valve that closes the vent opening in the tank when the tank is full ending the venting before liquid fuel can enter the evap canister.

So have the mechanic check the rollover valve, the evap canister; the vent tube; the exhaust tube; and the tank full vent shut off valve.

Hope this helps. Let us know what the problem was.

Or it may be a sticking valve that is designed to cut off leakage in the event of an accident. That is usually fixed easily if that is what it is.