Gas pump shuts off before gas tank is full

When getting gas, the gas pump often shuts off several times( almost every $0.50 of gas)well before my gas tank is full. Also, I have to fill the tank VERY SLOWLY to prevent spills and it takes a long time to fill up the tank. After Im done the car takes gives a bit of problem to start. Could it be the fuel filter? Any ideas? Thanks!

My car is a 2003 Hyundai accent

If it does that with every different gas pump, the problem, is with your car. The gas tank vapor control system may not be functioning properly, especially if you have been filling the tank past the ā€œfirst clickā€ on the gas pump.

You need a competent technician to look at this.

If this only happens a certain pumps, try another pump.

This is an extremely common problem on some older GM SUVā€™s (Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, etc) but I think itā€™s a pretty universal situation. Chances are your vapor control system is acting up. Your charcoal canister could also be flooded, this is what generally happens to people who like to keep adding fuel after the pump clicks off.

Also some filler necks (usually the length of pipe from your fuel door to your tank) employ some kind of check valve internally. Itā€™s usually just a ball floating over a smaller opening to prevent flooding and whatnot. Sometimes these seize up. Take a rubber mallet and tap the length of your filler neck if you find yourself in that general area. That might help.

Another thing you can do for free is to find your charcoal canister (sometimes they are near the fuel tank) and inspect and follow every line that comes out of it. You might have something disconnected (that will usually set a check engine light, though). Also, make sure your purge valve/purge solenoid isnā€™t disconnected. These will either be located near the canister or up towards the engine. Refer to a service manual or Google search to find it.

I agree with billfrank85 because this has become a universal problem. A lot of it has to do with stronger fuel pumps and decreased size in filler necks in most vehicles not to mention the addition of gas tank fuel recovery systems. Itā€™s not 1990 any longer and I see the situation getting worseā€¦not better.

I too have this problem on my 05 ford Escape. I was just going to write about it and found this thread. I donā€™t fill past first click (when full) and any other starting problem, but this almost happens everytime I start filling gas and have to struggle to get past few clicks for the pump to work and fill up the tank.
Also noticed that this happens more at newer pumps, may be due to newer and stronger pumps? Thanks,

Have someone inspect the vent valve and the vent valve hose on the EVAP system to see if a yellow sac spider laid egg sacs causing a restriction preventing the gas tank from venting while fueling.

For some reason these little buggers are attracted to the odor of gasoline, and will lay egg sacs in EVAP system any chance they get.

Tester

I HAD that issue ā€¦
Let me start with im not a mechanicā€¦

My simple solution is ( it worked for me ) on my 2009 Ford E250 cargo Van

1 donā€™t fill your tank ā€¦ half way or less is good
2 open gas cap to release the pressure
( u will hear a hiss as gas vapor comes out )
Do that few times a day if possible

ā˜†ā˜†ā˜†ā˜† donā€™t be smoking while doing it ā˜†ā˜†ā˜†ā˜†

Repeat these steps
It will take time to be able to fill up normally

Try it
You have Nothing to lose

What I gathered from my mechanic is there is a charcoal filter that gets socked and the vapor canā€™t escape
That happens because you over fill ( i did that )
So by Repeating these steps the filter will dry out

Best of luck

Issam, welcome to the forum.

A bit of info for youā€¦ In the upper right hand corner of each post is a month and the day ā€¦ Jun 15 when the post was made. When there is little markā€¦ Jun '15 that means the last post was in June of 2015. Five years ago. Certainly the original poster has long since sold the vehicle. Just an FYI

Your post might help others who have a similar issue, so thanks for the post.

Hello
Iā€™m sure has hasā€¦
i searched this topic about 3 years ago
And just recently discovered this fix

So I decided to come back and see if anyone had answeredā€¦

1 Like