Gas tank has leaks?

I have a '99 Aurora with 142K. Lately I’ve noticed a gas odor when I get out. Brought it to my mechanic; he said the gas lines were “weeping.” There are also a few spots on my driveway that I think are probably gas.

My mechanic said he wouldn’t be able to do the work and said to take it to a dealer if it gets worse. Would it be expensive to repair?

Also, my wife thinks it might be dangerous, and won’t drive the car! Does she have a valid point?

A gasoline leak–no matter what the source might be–is potentially very dangerous.

While you don’t have to take this car to the dealer (and, of course, there are no Olds dealers anymore), if your regular mechanic does not feel that he has the expertise to deal with leaking gas lines or a leaking gas tank, you really have no alternative but to take it elsewhere–PRONTO.

If you can’t find a reputable independent mechanic, then bear in mind that any GM dealership will find this car to be very familiar. I would just advise you to avoid chain operations like Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO, etc…

Translation: Your mechanic can’t be bothered working on 10 year old cars with leaky fuel lines. I don’t blame him…

On top of the tank are three or four short sections of rubber hose. The tank will have to be dropped to replace them…Then at the fuel filter are several other rubber fuel lines… If you are looking for an excuse to list this car on craigslist, now you have it!

Yes, it’s dangerous.

A lot of mechanics don’t like to work on gas tanks because of the risk of burning down their shop if the fuel gets loose and encounters a spark or open flame. Hard to argue with them.

It’s unlikely to fix itself, and will probably get worse over time.

Yes, it will likely be expensive if the dealer does the work. You can probably find a mechanic who will do it for less if you look around.

I agree with all the above. Here’s a story that might encourage you: My first car was a used '65 Mustang. I drove it after fixing the blown engine (sister did it), then my brother used it. We then gave it to a relative, who had the misfortune of driving down the freeway when the fuel line blew in the engine compartment, catching the car on fire. He jumped out a 30 mph, luckily was OK.

The moral: FIX IT NOW