Gas pump shut-off

montana

Hi, Tom and Ray. I own a 2005 Hyundai Accent and have had a progressively worsening problem when I am filling the gas tank. The gas pump shuts off before it is full, sometimes as much as 20 times when filling a 10 gallon tank. It didn’t do this at all the first year that I had it, but since then has been getting worse (especially in the winter). It is very frustrating when I know that the tank is nearly empty, but it shuts off at 1.5 gallons, 2 gallons, 3 gallons, etc. I have tried going to different gas stations, changing the position of the nozzle, trying to get it to pump slower - nothing works. How do I get it to stop doing this?

There are two likely problems. First if you have been in the habit of topping off the tank, you likely now need a new charcoal canister and that will cost you a few bills. Other than than, it likely has some sort of vent problem, that could cost you a little or a lot depending on what it is and who does it. First however I would try a different brand of station. Some cars just don’t seem to talk to all cars nicely.

Are you driving on any rough roads? Another possibility is your filler neck may be bent. The back pressure from a bent filler neck could also do the same thing.