F150 want to increase MPG

I have a 2006 Ford F150 XL V6 4.2L, and want to get better gas mileage. What is the best and cheapest way to accomplish this?

Option 1: Trade it for a more fuel-efficient vehicle.

Option 2: Don’t carry any unnecessary weight. Drive gently. Don’t exceed the speed limit. Make sure the tires are properly inflated. Follow the factory maintenance schedule.

The Ford engineers have done everything they can to maximize the mileage on this truck. There are no “tricks” to increase its gas mileage, and there are no aftermarket modifications that will increase mileage, despite all the claims.

What’s the gas mileage now?

Change your driving habits. Go easy on the accelerator.  Anticipate stops and start slowing early.  Avoid using the brakes, rather plan ahead.  On the freeway, slow down.  Most vehicles get the best mileage at a steady speed around 35-50 mph.  

Don't overdo it.  Traffic conditions, safety and curtsy. are important.

I don’t have a lot of stats yet, but it varies depending on how traffic is in the city from 12-13 up to just under 15 MPG. On the highway it seems only slightly more to just over 16.

Do you get better mpg with the tailgate up or down? Just curious. Rocketman

There have been long discussions about this. As far as I can determine, pickups are designed to get the best mileage with the tailgate closed. I wonder what happens if you install a bed cover? Not a cap, just a cover.

Make certain that your engine is “in-tune” . . . fresh spark plugs gapped correctly . . . make certain that your tire pressure is correct . . . others have stated to adjust your driving habits, it work. Example: My Wife drives a '95 Civic as her daily driver, gets about 25 mpg, back and forth to work (only 9 miles one way), soccer practice, errands, etc. Two weeks ago we went to the beach . . . a 250 mile trip one way. We packed everything the night before, got up at 4 to beat the beach traffic, and drove the 250 miles in about 5 hours, cruise control on, tire pressure at 35 psi, no stopping, no A/C, very little traffic. MPG? 45 mpg! I didn’t believe it, so I did the same thing coming home, but drove in the evening instead of morning, same mpg . . 45. Driving habit will really make a difference. Rocketman

The two biggest things that DESTROY fuel mileage are acceleration and aerodynamic drag. Accelerating the mass of that vehicle rapidly to say 50 mph takes a tremendous amount of energy. So try to avoid doing that. Hot brakes means poor fuel mileage. Trucks have very poor aerodynamics. At speeds over 60, this drag increases VERY rapidly. A bed cover of some sort will help. Also the large outside mirrors add a lot of drag at high speed…Are you using this truck as a “daily driver”?? Do something different, park the truck, and realize a huge decrease in fuel costs…

I doesn’t have to be my daily driver. I use it mainly for small hauls and yard work.
I guess driving habits are the key. I’ll have to park it more than drive it to really see the difference. U guys are so quite with you snide comments…:slight_smile:

Oh ya and Thanks.

I have the same truck/engine just a 2004. My mileage is just about the same (but never 12 city) I am happy as a clam because the truck just runs and runs,I am not messing with what works. Who want a emission system failure from aftermarket software or home brew fuel mixtures (which we had questions about last year).

Yes, they are very “quite”.

;-))

For what its worth…Myth Busters tailgate up vs down tests.