Future Mechanics

What the future holds for future high tech mechanics.

http://www…v6Og52klYo

Pretty funny the job selected was a electric fan replacement. In late 1999,2000 BMW had a huge electric fan replacement recall (I posted some pictures from a burned up E-46)I did so many fan replacements that I really did not need any instructions. Funny that BMW would pick this job.

The film did not depict all the usual chaos that goes on everyday at the Dealership, was everybody politely waiting their turn to be an a*******?

Well, the future ones won’t need high tech glasses to see the ripping they’re going to take on their paycheck from performing warranty work and coerced PR jobs. :slight_smile:

Those goggles would drive me freakin’ nuts! Seeing what I’m working on is one of my biggest problems, what with dark areas, small nooks and crannies, etc. Having these in the way would make it impossible! Just have a laptop on the tool trolly with the video loaded.

On one hand, they could make the mechanic’s job a bit easier, but it could also do away with their job entirely if a bunch of people buy those goggles and do it themselves.
One could also look at it as if these mechanics are so stupid they need some fancy goggles to tell them what to do, they should look for another field of work

Most automotive technicians working at a dealership have pretty good factory support in their
data manuals and special tools.

Where I saw the future of this technology is in the DIY market. Most weekend mechanics would try a lot more if they had step by step support, with the different assemblies identified, which fasteners need removed, and and in which order. I could foresee the goggles giving technical specs as you along as well, such as torque and sequence guides along with possible “gotchas” to be on the look out for.

The technology could also migrate to other DIY projects such as home repairs and appliance repairs. The possibilities are endless.

The way technology is advancing, the price of the goggles wouldn’t be all that bad. I could see you buying the goggles as a system base, then being able to load different jobs into them with a small factory made memory chip or USB flash drive.

I know it seems kind of far fetched now, but as us old guys well know, the world is changing quickly.

A additional degree in computer science and continual training. Technology grows exponentially and until we have all electrics, IMO the car scene will be a “mish mash” of technologies with competing changes occurring often.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that the successful mechanic is one who can reason through a problem. All the technology in the world is no substitute for a person who can think.

Trouble is most (but not all) that can think have figured out that 100K a year as an Network Administrator (there are your IT skills) is much better than being kicked to the ground daily for maybe 40K.If you can be a good mechanic you can be a good Network administrator, the pay is much better. I am 50% through my CISCO CCNA certification, kiss those low paying jobs good-bye.

A big part of the factory diagnoses is done electronically in modern cars as well.
The new generation guys want to hook up to the On Board Diagnostics first thing to see what’s happening. Then they move to the factory WIS diagnostic “Trees” on their laptops.

Like you, Im sure, I smile when they hit a dead end. I have to remind them to remember their basic training (Fuel, Spark ect.) and think it through on their own. Many times they come to my rescue on the technology side however. I guess it goes both ways. Most of these young guys are very bright.

Some people actually LIKE doing their job, despite being good at something else that could land them a higher paying job. Not everyone wants to sit and stare at a computer screen typing away all day.

This is not technology, this is fantasy…

So was Star Trek…

I also wondered about that, Caddyman. A video’s nice, but how would these things really work? How could they exactly superimpose a correct picture, regardless of head location, angle, movement, etc? And like I said, even if they worked, I’d rather have a screen on a laptop to look at instead.

A additional degree in computer science and continual training

Actually just the opposite. The more technology…the LESS technological skills to use it. 30 years ago you had to be a LOT more technical then you do today to work with a computer.

I currently hold a CCNA certification and am about 50% of the way through a four-year accounting program at Gustavus Adolphus College in MN for my CPA and I still feel every day like i’d rather be a mechanic and make far less than make six-figures.

I know how hard I am working for my CCNA so I tip my hat to your sucess, but spend a few pay periods in an auto garage, it is not like doing it for a hobby, not a line of work any man should want his son to take up. I posed this question at lunch one day and amoung the 20 or so mechanics around the table NONE said they would encourage their son’s to take up auto mechanics, son, listen to your father, he has learned the hard way.

Staring at a computer screen and typing is not part of a CCNA holders job, most of your time is spent trouble shooting. The knowledge you need for a CCNA compared to what you need for an auto mechanic is like Kindergarten and a Phd. There is a tremendous amount of fundemental knowledge needed for a CCNA and it is not even close to the top Network Certification.

“spend a few pay periods in an auto garage, it is not like doing it for a hobby”

Sounds like the difference between cooking your own dinner and working in the kitchen at a restaurant.

The things i’ve heard from people in the industry such as yourself are what are keeping me on track to earn my CPA but I really do love automotive. I will definitely be continuing it as a hobby for many years to come, I really appreciate the advice you and others have given me on your experiences and I wish you luck in getting your CCNA, it really is a difficult certification to get.

I took the course for CCNA, then a class for the next step up, CCNP. I was taking night classes, and by the time class would be over, I’d pretty much have to head home and go to bed because I had to be at work at 6am. So, I fell pretty far behind in the CCNP class, failed it and haven’t really wanted to go back since. I tested for the CCNA, but failed, and looking at the job market for those kinds of jobs, it wasn’t worth trying to keep taking it till I passed it. Everyone was looking for people with 4~7 years experience, and I barely had a year of classes under my belt.
I was going to Marion Technical College, so I didn’t need all those extra classes, I could just take the one class each semester.