Funny noise

About a couple of weeks ago I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting somebody that pulled out in front of me and shortly after that a funny noise has begun. I almost sounds like the noise that is made when an “r” is being rolled. It isn’t there when the car is started or when its idle. It even stops when I turn the wheel to the right. Any ideas?

Perhaps the antilock is still engaging for some reason. Maybe the caliper on one side hasn’t slid back on center. Get it up on a rack to be checked out.

If it sounds like noisy tires and the pitch changes when the steering wheel is turned off-center it could be a bad wheel bearing. Both front wheel bearings on my 2000 Blazer went bad rignt after I got 4 new tires. For a few months I thought it was the tires until my mechanic discovered the bad bearings when it was in for an oil change.

Ed B.

Is this an expensive venture?

Is this an expensive venture?

Depends on the vehicle, which you have not chosen to share with us. If only the wheel bearings need to be replaced, it might not be too expensive.

However if the entire hub has to be replaced, as were the case with my Blazer, it get expensive. I paid about $350 for each hub and $100 for labor at my local garage. The dealer would have been a few hundred more. I suspect it would be even more expensive if a wheel came off while the vehicle was being driven.

Ed B.

It’s a 2006 Toyota Corolla.

Angie