Road noice

I own a 2005 Legacy GT with 45,000 on it. About 6 months ago I started to notice significant road noise. To be honest, I don’t remember if it was gradual or not. I assumed it was the tires. I few days ago I purchased and had installed a new set of tires from Tire Rack (with great reviews for minimal road noise). Unfortunately it did not help. I am now puzzled and any ideas would appreciated.

I had the same problem on my 2000 Blazer, it turned out to be the front wheel bearings. It started right after I got new tires and I assumed the noise was from the tires. Does the pitch of the noise change when the steering wheel is moved off center (i.e. changing lanes)? If it does, that is a sign the bearings are bad.

Ed B.

can you describe the noise? high pitched whine? does it change frequency with speed and only speed?

It’s a low pitched whirring that increases in volume with direct relation to speed. The pitch itself does not change. I had a mechanic look at it this morning (same place that put on the new tires) and they’re “pretty sure” it’s the rear wheel bearings. It would be a $650 job to do both rear wheel bearings, although they’re not 100% it would fix the problem.

I would think that wheel bearing noise would increase in frequency as the car speed increases and the wheel turns faster. By frequency, to avoid confusion, I mean pitch.

General question, can bad wheel bearings be detected by jacking up the wheel and turning the wheel while listening for clicking noises?

I was wrong. I realized today that the pitch increases frequency as the speed increases.

I brought it to the dealer and it was a wheel bearing. It was covered under warranty. Thanks for all your help!