Fuel tank sender unit wrench

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I need to remove the fuel tank sender assembly so I can replace the fuel pump but the “Haynes” and “Chilton’s” repair manual states you need a "fuel tank sender unit wrench D84P-9275-A to remove the sender assembly. My question is where do you get the wrench and do I really need it to remove the sender assembly?

You don’t really need it. You can turn the “nut” with a chisel or screwdriver and a hammer. Just tap it (top to left) till it loosens, then unscrew by hand. To tighten, turn (top to right) till snug, then a couple of taps to tighten all the way. Or you can use a piece of flat steel stock if you have it.

I use a brass bar or brass punch plus a hammer to tap the locking ring loose. I highly recommend brass instead of steel because of the possibility of sparks. Anytime you work around the fuel tank, you want to avoid sparks. The hammer can be steel as long as the bar is brass.

If you want the wrench, OTC ( Owatonna Tool Co.) or KD from Big A, NAPA stores. But I agree with the other guys, a brass punch and a mallet might do the job.

Let me echo that caution to please be careful when removing that cover. That is one of the most dangerous jobs you can do on your car.

I usually find something in the tool box or scrap metal pile that will do the job, but I am careful only crack it loose with a tool (preferably a brass tool) and then use my hand to take it off and put it back on.