Fuel Sensor-2007 X-terra

53Kmiles. Dealer wants $350-$400 to replace the sensor. “Service Engine Soon” light on; code shows upper fuel sensor failure; and the upper 2/3’s of fuel gauge takes a while to show full on a full-up. I believe that this is a float activating various sensors. If the float is sticking, would fuel chemicals (Techron, Heet ) help? Can they hurt? Any other ideas?

Techron isn’t going to hurt. But I doubt it will help.

Additives won’t fix a mechanical problem.

Is this vehicle possibly still under warranty?

Is this vehicle possibly still under warranty?

Short Answer: No, but the Service Adviser, once he determined that it wasn’t, then asked me if I bought the X-terra there. No, another state. He then quoted me the 350-400.

When I first told him the problem, his answer was “Oh, the fuel sensor fails all the time.” but he refused to tell me (one way or another) if there was a “Secret Warranty” for this part that “fails all the time.” I am trying to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs.

They probably have to drop the tank and the price likely includes the entire sending unit w/ fuel pump.

I’ve driven numerous vehicles with bad fuel gages. I wait until the fuel pump also dies, and if it doesn’t or until that point, I just fill up every x number of miles and all is good.

Yes, they have to drop the tank. That’s a lot of labor. As I understand it, they quoted the fuel quantity sensor, not the entire unit. The Service Manual shows that the unit is repairable by replacing the sensor.

My only problem with not fixing it is that the “Service Engine Soon” light stays on and that can mask a new and important problem. Otherwise, I can live with resetting the trip-meter and filling up at a suitable mileage. In fact, the lower part of the gauge is still accurate.

Mike

If you bought the vehicle with a Nissan warranty, if the item is warrantied, it doesn’t matter where you bought it.
What are the trouble codes? Let us know. We can do our own decoding. The question is (to me) HOW did the dealership determine that the fuel level sensor is defective. The code being set in the engine computer is not enough reason, in and of itself, to change any part. Testing MUST be done to determine where the fault actually is. The fault could be in wiring, gauges, instrument panel, etc.
To repair, or not? The fuel tank EVAP (evaporative control) system test is performed by the engine computer when it detects certain fuel levels. If the fuel level sensor is inaccurate, the EVAP tests won’t be run by the engine computer; then, there will be a trouble code set, and the I/M for EVAP System Test will show “Incomplete” (or, “Not Run”).
Have the problem tested and verified, or repaired. Be wary of shops which don’t, or won’t. Some, even dealers, will blow smoke at you.
If warranty doesn’t apply, an independent shop will cost you less. Even then, be firm about having real troubleshooting performed…Don’t inhale the smoke!

Sorry about the delay but I could answer the question until today and today I got the problem resolved.

It shouldn’t matter where I bought the Nissan but it’s out of warranty. The service adviser asked if I bought it there before he quoted an estimate.

I contacted a Regional Customer Affairs Representative, and ideal I got from “Car Talk.” Thanks guys.

He needed a Nissan Dealer Diagnostic and I made a appointment with one of the closest dealers to do everything in one day.

Here is the Invoice quotes “Cause: Found code P0463 Fuel level sensor/circ. Found Bulletine NTB07-069a. Performed Bulletin, and replaced the fuel level sensor and O-ring. Cleared code. OK after replacement.”

Total cost to me. $0.00

I’m pleased.

Now a question to the forum: How can I find these bulletins???

Why did Nissan have a free repair done on your car? Was it a Goodwill repair? A Goodwill repair is where the car maker will pay for part, or all, of the repair, even though the repair is out of warranty.

Talk about a terse service bulletin! http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=/uploads/FixUrNissan/2008-06-19_085215_06_path_fuel_bulliten.jpg