Fuel pump issue

vue would crank, not start. 5 min later it started. done this 3 times in 1 month. changed original fuel filter. am leaning towards fuel. vs spark. no codes. I see pump assy’s for $175. or a pump alone for $30. if I remove tank and pump assy, would there be any issue with changing pump alone? not paying shop so its my effort the last gm pump assy I did had a working pump but corrosion on leads to pump inside tank. I replaced assy because I had already bought assy.

Did you check or replace the fuel pump relay? Bad relay contacts can act this way.

As for the pump… sure you can do the pump only. I’d pull the pump and get a good look at all the parts before ordering the pump only or the full assembly…if you can have the Vue down long enough to order the parts.

@Cavell

“…am leaning towards fuel. vs spark. no codes. I see pump assy’s for $175. or a pump alone for $30.”

Wow, I think I would try to diagnose this myself or pay somebody else before removing the gas tank and start down the “replace parts until it runs” road.

I’m not a mechanic, but when it won’t run, I’d go find that little schraeder valve on the fuel rail and (Caution ! Fuel can spray everywhere) see if you’ve got pressure.

I think a fuel pressure gauge would be most helpful.
CSA

2 Likes

Does the security light flash when it does not start?

3 Likes

ah, kids car. who does not live at my house. a relay is also a good suggestion. the Saturn vue website mentioned that. since vue is working now, its hard to troubleshoot it when it is.

@Cavell

“ah, kids car. who does not live at my house. a relay is also a good suggestion. the Saturn vue website mentioned that. since vue is working now, its hard to troubleshoot it when it is.”

Withholding information, eh?
All kidding aside, when I suspect a relay problem, here’s what I try…

I’d use the Owner’s Manual to locate the fuel pump relay and look for (in all the fuse/relay boxes) an identical relay with identical part number (surprisingly, there often is one) that is used for something else (like windshield wipers, etcetera) and swap them temporarily).

See if that fixes the problem or moves it to another area.

If it fixes it then buy and replace the bad relay.
CSA

3 identical relays. a/c compressor, fuel pump and rear wipers. I went with wiper motor. vue started as expected. but than I have it at work today and I got here somehow. I would like to check fuel pressure but I think a finicky fuel pump produces normal pressure. until it decides to not work

@Cavell

“3 identical relays. a/c compressor, fuel pump and rear wipers. I went with wiper motor. vue started as expected. but than I have it at work today and I got here somehow.”

It’s a long shot, but keep trying those wipers, too.
At least if it fails to start then you’ve eliminated relay.
CSA

Got a p0128 code today after 1/2 drive. Low coolant temp issue? Or too long to get warm? Did u know thermostat is under intake plenum? About a 4 hr job to change thermostat. Opel motors are odd.

I do not think the code and starting issues are related.

@Cavell

Which model-year is that Vue?
CSA

03 vue. 3.0 v6. Not the Honda v6. The 2.2 4cyl and v6 both use the same fuel system. Such as fuel pump, and so on. The 4cyl is ecotec which is GM? While the v6 is Opel made. Our local import garage will work on saabs with 3.0 but refuse to touch the same motor in the vues.

Here’s an easy enough experiment to try. After it cranks but doesn’t start, get out of the car and see if you notice raw gasoline smell back by the tailpipe. If so, that means you probably got gas being injected, and weak or no spark is the reason it won’t start.

1 Like

My granddaughter had a Saturn large wagon with the same engine. My mechanic would not work on it either. He said people would bring them in and repairs would et so expensive that people would abandom them.