Fuel pump fuse

The fuse for my equinox blew. Suv is 15yrs old. No idea if fuel pump is original. New fuse, it starts. What should you do? What can you do? Wiring is inaccessible. Keep fingers crossed? Drive less?

I’d do nothing until it pops the replacement fuse.

1 Like

The pump may be starting to draw more current so on its way south. I’ve replaced wiring from the pump to the computer. You just run a new wire, but that’s not the likely problem. When you replace the pump, you replace the pigtail too as well as the relay just as best practices. I suppose you could always to a draw test to see if its normal or not.

1 Like

Change the fuel filter.

1 Like

I agree with Bing. The current draw of the pump is overloading the circuit. The fuse will pop again and this needs to be resolved ASAP because you do not want that fuse to let go at some inopportune time. Say while pulling out into traffic or trying to beat a train at the crossing…

At 15 years of age the pump is due. I think that the fuel filter is inside the tank on this model and over time a partially clogged filter will cause the pump to work harder which in turn means its’ headed towards failure.

1 Like

I would measure the actual current draw. My next move would depend on the reading…

Just checked it. 5.5 amps
05 equinox has in tank fuel filter