Fuel mileage

A friend of mine recently sent me a link on the internet to a site that talked about increasing fuel mileage by adding a few ounces of acetone to the gas. Is this safe to do and what coild be damaged in the fuel system be doing this? Thanks for the information.

CecilRaymer

On the rare chance that there is some sort of build up in the fuel system, it might help clean it. Usually the cleaners already in all grades gasoline (not just premium) keep the system clean.

Acetone will burn and will add a little to your mileage, but a few oz in a tank of gas is far too little to measure the results.

In short don’t bother, and yes it is possible, although not likely it could damage something in some fuel systems.

BTW we get this one at least once a week Search on acetone and you should found more than you ever wanted to know about this urban legion.

Many people have tested this idea and every one of them has found it to be worthless. If the website you reviewed is the one managed by Louis LaPointe, you should know him to be a well-established crank who amuses himself pushing this acetone nonsense.

Here it comes again!

It’s been a while since anyone has posted a question about acetone, but it just never goes away. If you’re willing to experiment with your vehicle, please let us know what happens when you pour acetone into your fuel tank.

But before you start adding acetone, ask yourself this question: If it works, why doesn’t EVERY car manufacturer know about it, and why isn’t acetone added to every gallon of gas you buy at the pump?

Answer? It doesn’t work.

I’m not crazy enough to pour acetone into my fuel tank, and I’ve read Mr. LaPointe’s arguments. If you want to try it, go ahead. Please let us know what happens.

No, it is not going to work. Have you considered HHO? ;’)

It won’t really add anything, and my buddy ruined a fuel pump and some lines by putting too much Acetone in his truck. Don’t bother.

A poster here writes (unfortunately): Here it comes again!
It’s been a while since anyone has posted a question about acetone, but it just never goes away. If you’re willing to experiment with your vehicle, please let us know what happens when you pour acetone into your fuel tank.
But before you start adding acetone, ask yourself this question: If it works, why doesn’t EVERY car manufacturer know about it, and why isn’t acetone added to every gallon of gas you buy at the pump?
Answer? It doesn’t work.
I’m not crazy enough to pour acetone into my fuel tank, and I’ve read Mr. LaPointe’s arguments. If you want to try it, go ahead. Please let us know what happens.

I’ve been using acetone in my Ranger for about 6 years. I think it helps keep the engine clean and it gives me a bit better mileage. Generally, my mileage is about 4 MPG above the 2004 EPA estimate even though now they add ethanol to the fuel.

I’m puzzled why you would ask for people to report their results when you claim using acetone is crazy and doesn’t work. Where is your substantiation for your comments?

You ask: If it works, why doesn’t EVERY car manufacturer know about it, and why isn’t acetone added to every gallon of gas you buy at the pump?

There really is a simple answer here: When times are good and you’re selling all the gas you make, why would you care how much mileage consumers get? When times aren’t so good why would you add something that increases the price and therefore decreases demand or makes your product uncompetitive in price?

If you don’t want to use acetone, fine, but when you provide no substantiation for your comments, don’t expect anyone to take you too seriously. After all, the world is flat and anyone who thinks it’s round is crazy.