Fuel line replacement

One of the pressurized rubber fuel lines under the hood is leaking and the other also needs to be replaced. These parts are no longer available—Chevrolet used these part numbers on one model year only. The lines have metal to rubber connections and O-ring boss fittings. One of the fittings on one of the lines has what appears to be a small expansion chamber that is integral to the fitting—it is either part of the casting or was finely welded onto the formed fitting. I have found a shop that can fabricate duplicate lines, but cannot supply the expansion chamber on thee one fitting. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? Does the line really require the expansion chamber? Thank you for any advice.

Post a year of the Lumina and I will see if I can find what fuel line you are talking about ( unless you can post a photo). Myself I always try very hard to fix the design I am presented versus comming up with something myself.

i had a friend that needed a vacuum diaphram for his carb,rather than buy a carb kit he wired the secondaries with coat hanger,what a waste of time.

I need to replace both front fuel lines on my '91 Chevy Lumina 3.1 liter engine. I think the same fuel lines were on all GM 3.1 engines (Olds, Buick, etc.), but I don’t know the year spread.

I don’t find a picture of this “chamber” in any of my books. Is this a TBI injected car or a multi-port as I get descriptions for both when I look the car up. I take it there are no threads to screw anything into the chamber. Can you say from where to where the lines go (espically the one with the chamber?) I was almost sure this was going to be a pressure test port,a fuel accumulator chamber (looks too small for that) or a mounting place for a pressure regulator (but my searh indicates regulators are mounted in other places). Any luck with a parts store in regards to just what the chamber does?

I don’t know what it means to be TBI or multi-port, but a Chevy parts desk guy tells me it is a fuel accumulator and is required for safe operation of the vehicle, especially for fast acceleration.

I would like to find a shop that could duplicate these lines using the original fittings, but don’t know if it is possible to crimp hose to a ferrule and then join the ferrule to these original fittings in a way that would hold the 30 lbs. or so pressure.

In the meantime, I’m going to look for lines in a couple junk yards in the area that I hope will hold me until I can find a way for a proper fix, as stated above.

Thank you for your thoughts about this.

I bet it will run just fine without the little surge tank…Looks like something to smooth out the line pressure…

I agree with Caddyman on this one. Some Toyotas uses a rubber diaphragm and spring-loaded device on the fuel rail that does a similar function. Toyota calls it a ‘fuel dampener’. The function is to smooth out the fuel pump pulses for a more stable fuel pressure. Many Supra owners remove this device and use the fitting for a fuel pressure gauge. This device on your car appears to do a similar function based on a ‘water hammer arrestor’ theory.

As Caddyman said, the car should work fine without it.

Thinking more about it, some high-pressure fuel line, barb fittings, hose clamps, ingenuity, I would have this car running for less than $50 and one hour…

actually all you need is high pressure fuel hose, good clamps. Use a cutoff tool and cut off the crimp fittings off the hose, pull hose off fitting and there you go. The fitting’s ready for new hose.